My pet bearded dragon "bob" has just woken up violently from his sleep and vomited (I think) what looks like a piece of

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi,

My pet bearded dragon "bob" has just woken up violently from his sleep and vomited (I think) what looks like a piece of flesh, 2cm by 1cm. This resembles nothing like his diet.

2 days ago he had runny poo

He is still active and his color and beard are normal

His temps are
105 basking
82 cool

He has UVB tube

His diet is varied greens with mealworms and locusts

Can you please help advise if there is anything we can do to help him tonight and he will be with the vet first thing in the morning when they open? (A reptile specialist)

Any advice much appreciated
Answered by Jav917 in 9 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

What I would like you to do is give a nice long soak in a 50/50 warm water soak and some plain Pedialyte. This will help with hydration. I would make sure you get the lights out so Bob can rest after the soak.

If you have what was vomited please take that with you to the Vet in the am. We sometimes see this happen when a Dragon eats too rapidly and it does not fully digest. We also see this happen when there is loose substate in the tank and some is ingested by accident.

I would keep your temps at 105-110*F for the night. The soak should help with hydration and relaxation where Bob can sleep through the night.

Please let me know if there is any further questions that I can answer for you.

Joan

Customer

Do you know if there is a UK alternative to Pedialyte?

I know it is difficult to advise without seeing it but would you have any idea what the flesh like vomit could be?

It honestly looks like an organ rather than anything else, sounds ridiculous because of the size of it compared to him but just as an idea of what the consistency is like. It is the color of steak and the consistency of a small slice of chicken.

I can find no suggestion on line? The only thing I can think of is that it may be an egg/period and came out of the other end as i did not see him/her vomit

The UK equivalent is Dioralyte which can be diluted the same way. The Dragon if a male or female it may have prolapsed in the vent area. That can account for what you are seeing like flesh. In any case the Herp Vet would be what is needed.

Joan

Customer

No it doesn't look like a prolapsed vent - it appears that he vomited it up and it has actually come from him as it doesn't resemble anything he eats.

We have kept it to show to the vets tomorrow - but it looks like it is either a blood clot or a part of his organs. I can't see anything like this on the forums...we will be at the vet first thing in the morning, but any advice on the flesh that he vomited is appreciated.

Since he had runny stool it is possible it may be a blood clot. Runny stool usually indicates a parasite issue. This can in turn cause gastrointestinal bleeding and a possible blood clot.

This is a very unusual case becuase we usually see food and not something resembling flesh when vomiting or regurgitating. After the Vet examines Bob, please com back and let me know what the finding are. This will be good to know.

Joan

Customer

The vet thinks this is stomach lining but has no idea why this could have occurred. They have given him antibiotics and asked for a fecal sample.

Any ideas on what could have caused this or how we can help him?

Parasites could cause a problem, but I have neber heard anything like this happening in my years working with Reptiles. If on antibiotics, I suggest using a Probiotic called Bene-Bac that can be fed to help restore the gut flora and may aid with healing of this is part of the stomach lining. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.