Red Ear Slider Turtles,BABY'S SIZE OF A QUARTER. I HAVE 12 I PURCHASED AND WAS DELIVERED TO DAY. I LIVE IN .USA. THE

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Red Ear Slider Turtles,BABY'S SIZE OF A QUARTER.
I HAVE 12 I PURCHASED AND WAS DELIVERED TO DAY.
I LIVE IN KY.USA.
THE TURTLES (Red Ear Slider Turtles)WILL LIVE IN MY OUT SIDE FISH POND.SIZE..W=4FT L=9FT DEPTH=4FT.
WATER IS MOVED 24/7 BY MY FILTER WATER PUMP THAT IS ALSO SAME SIZE USED AT MY 2ND FISH POND I HAVE HAD WITH FISH FOR 5 YEARS.
WHAT I NEED MOSTLY IS INFORMATION ON CARE FOR MY TURTLES IN THE KY.USA WINTER,(MY WINTER TEMP AVG.10-40+ (ABOVE FREEZING) (THIS TURTLE (Red Ear Slider Turtles)IS SAID TO BE A OUTSIDE POND TURTLE AND LIVES OUTSIDE ALL YEAR LONG ALL OVER THE USA + OTHER COUNTRY'S (Red Ear Slider Turtles) AND ANYTHING YOU CAN GET FOR ME ON THIS SUBJECT OF RAISING (Red Ear Slider Turtles) ALL YEAR LONG IN KY.USA..
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

The place that sold you the turtles should have never sent hatchlings this close to winter. This is a thread about one of the places that has a very bad reputation of selling turtles that are sick, too young or other problems: http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/topic/71072-wwwturtleshackcom/ It is very hard on them being so young to hibernate them outside. At the size of a quarter you may loose some before winter is over. Normally an older turtle that is a few inches long can survive, but the quarter size are not much more than a hatchling. The turtles should be Vet checked before hibernation. Most people with turtles that size will not hibernate them outside and house them inside until spring when the weather warms up where they can adjust to pond life. With the amount of turtles you purchased, it would be hard to keep them inside for the winter. I do want to recommend a diet for them which is 50% leafy greens or aquatic plants, 25% pellets and 25% meat whether it is live prey or cooked meats. They do need a calcium supplement. When hibernating them you will need to discontinue feeding two weeks prior to them going under for the winter. Make sure your pond has a good amount of mud on the bottom for them to bury into. Get a pond heater and be sure if it freezes that you make an air hole for the turtles. They should be Vet checked prior to hibernation for parasites because that can be a major problem with survival. This is a link for Hibernating turtles: This is instructions for hibernating them: http://www.ehow.com/how_8788405_care-baby-turtles-hibernate.html

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can further assist by hitting reply to Expert.

Joan

Joan41200.9348562269
Hi Cuz,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Red Ear Slider Turtles. How is everything going?

Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.