Chinese water dragon about 6 monthes old. his eyes are closed and and he is not moving that much. i wipe his eyes to get

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer:

chinese water dragon about 6 monthes old. his eyes are closed and and he is not moving that much. i wipe his eyes to get them open. i can get him to eat mealworms but that is about it. very inactive compared to what he was. this started about 4 days ago

Answered by Joan in 11 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Joan
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

UVB light and how old? Tube or coil and strenfth of bulb?

Basking light?

Temps and how measured?

Diet prey/ Veggies?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Passing stool

Joan

Customer

reptile tank 20 gallon

light is 5 months old

yes a basking light

temps by themometers

crickets and mealworms

cricket quencher with calcium

coconut fiber

not passing stool now

Is the UVB a tube or coil type bulb? Name of the bulb?

Do you use any powdered calcium on the prey?

temperture in the tank, Baksing area, Warm site and cool side?

Joan

Customer

its a coil type repti glo 5.0 26W

i was told that i didn't need to with the fluker's calcium fortified cricket quencher

yes there is a warm side and cool side

85 degrees and he has a branch that he was lying on

The cricket quencher goes in and out of the crickets so fast it does not supply an adequate amout of calcium. You should be dusting the prey 5 days a week and 2 days a week with a vitamin supplement.

The UVB should actually be a tube type Reptisun 10.0 tube and the UVB lights should be changed by 6 months old. The lower the number the faster the UVB rays lessen. The 10.0 Reptisun tube is one of the best lights. If the UVB and calcium are not sufficient, then the Water Dragon can get sick and eventually MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease) can affect the Dragon. Another issue we see with the compact coil UVB is Photo Kerato Conjuctivitis which causes the eyes to close, swell and be in Pain.

Right now we can try some First Aid, buy giving a soak in a 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte soak. Please soak for 15-30 mins. Once that is done you can mix some plain chicken stage 1 baby food with calcium powder and try feeding by dropping on the snout and letting the WD lick it off. This is for some supplemental feeding.

I would have him into a Herp Vet for a Fecal check and to rule out a parasite issue. I can locate a Herp Vet with a State.

This is a diet sheet that is excellent for Water Dragons it discuses food as well as supplements: http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/diet.htm

Joan

Hi Annita, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Customer

his eyes have cleared up and he is eating still a little listless but he also hasn't defecated for awhile. i am still soaking him every day and that seems to make him more energetic. i don't know what to do about the pooping thing however other than to soak him

Now he is eating you can try a little baby food butternut squash or prunes by dropping on the snout and allowing him to lick it off. That will I know many WD's will not pooh unless in a soak or their water dish. Many keepers say that their Water Dragons are house broken that way. If you do not mind the soak that is probably the best way to get him to go.

Joan

Customer

thanks i will give that a try and no the soaks don't bother me and he seems to like them

I am glad he is doing better!

Joan

Customer

thanks for your help

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Joan
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Joan
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.