My male bearded dragon is a little more than a yr, about 15", in a 40 g tank, with Repti bark for substrate, eats

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My male bearded dragon is a little more than a yr, about 15", in a 40 g tank, with Repti bark for substrate, eats crickets, veggies, Repti bites by nature zone, and some fruit. He has only had a bowel movement twice since Friday (now Wed) and is acting unhappy. Advice? Thx, Erin
Answered by Jav917 in 6 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

UVB light and how old? Tube or coil? Strength?

Basking light?

Temps and how measured?

Diet prey/ Veggies?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Passing stool?

Last shed?

Joan

Customer

40 g. tank, 100 watt zoo med bulb in a cage style light holder, uvb bulb in a separate lamp, repti bark for substrate but I feed him in a smaller separate tank. ninja is a male bearded dragon a little mre than a yr old. The thermometer says that the temp is 87 degrees F - alittle cold I guess? I don't use anything other than the calcium multivit "dist" on his crickets? He eats Repti bites by Nature zone a few times a week, about 50 large crickets a week, grated zuc, squash, carrots and some greens a few times a wk. He has just passed a stool an hour ago, but he had not passed any stool before that since Friday. He hasn't shed in about a month (which is odd).

I would switch to a solid substrate since all loose substartes are dangerous since even if not fed in the tank they do lick substrate and can ingest peices.

Your temps are too cool and could be a problem with passing stool. They need 105*F-110*F in the basking area, 90's on the warm side and the cool side 80's. This can really affect the Dragon.

The Diet could use some improvement:

You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 20% veggies daily and 80% live prey under a year of age and over a year the percentages reverse.

The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The canned prey looses the nutritional value and is high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage.Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week..

I would start daily soaks to help keep things moving. A 30 min soak a day helps with dehydration and many dragons like to go in a bath. It is not abnormal for a Dragon over a year to only go once a week. As long as the Dragon is eating and acting normally I would not be too concerned right now.

Joan

Joan41164.8325275
Customer

Thank you. Can I ask how to get his cage warmer? Different light? And should his bath be warmed up while he is soaking? i hadn't let him soak more than 10 min before b/c was afraid the water would get cold..

You can use a Mercury Vapor bulb in leiu of a UVB and Heat lamp, or you can use a household 100 watt bulb in a reflector dome. The MVB would be a Powersun MVB bulb which supplies UVB and heat.

I suggest if you are using the UVB, the reptisun 10.0 tube across the whole tank, so the Dragon gets plenty of UVB. The UVB needs to be replaced every 6 months. This is very important.

As for the soak I make it about 90*F and when it starts cooling I add a little extra warm water. I then dry with a towel and into the warm tank.

As for substrate I suggest tile, cage carpet or slate, which all work well.

Joan

Joan41164.841001875
Hi Erin, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.