My son has a Leopard gecko that we just took from our oldest son who bought him about the end of July. The leo has

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, My son has a Leopard gecko that we just took from our oldest son who bought him about the end of July. The leo has gotten to where he will not eat and now he is not pooping. We have had him for about a week and our son is feeding him with a syringe and also putting some baby food on his nose but the biggest thing we are worried about is that he is not pooping. What can we do to help get him in better health?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Temps?

Heat Source?

Moist Hide?

Substrate/bedding?

Joan

Customer

Hi Joan,

His is in an 10 gallon fish tank with a heat lamp. We just got him from our oldest son who had him in a 5 gallon tank with sand in it. He is not eating very well and right now we are feeding him baby food (chicken) with a syringe and he will eat a millworm once in awhile. He just got through shedding and his skin is very white and see through. He has very soft paper towels on the bottom of his cage and a little/medium cave to go into and sleep

When they shed they will go off food. They will eat their shed. The white you are seeing is still the shed on the body. We need to make sure he has a moist hide to help with shedding.

For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.

It is good the sand is gone. It can cause an impaction. this may be part of the problem with passing stool: this shows the X rays: http://www.herpcenter.com/leopard-gecko-sand-impaction-xrays.html The sand can also cause corneal ulcers and skin problems.

Leopard geckos need an under the tank heat source. This helps with digestion and health. They need a dish of calcium in the tank at all time.

What we are going to do is stop the meal worms. I would like you to try and feed a little baby food prunes and then put him in a warm soak of 50/50 unflavored Pedialyte and warm water soak. While in the soak please massage the abdomen gently. Soak for about 20 mins. You can continue feeding a regular stage one chicken or beef baby food.

This is not going to be over night, but with the proper temps, the prunes, the moist hide and the soaks, we should be able to get him back on track.

If he does not respond before the weekend, he should see a Herp Vet. I can locate one with a state. there may be a parasite issue. I also suggest feeding silk worms or dubia roaches. Meal worms are high in chitin (the outer shell) which can cause problems. You can order silk worms from www.coastalsilkorms.com or www.mulberryfarms.com .

My goal is a 100% satisfaction and if you need further help, please hit reply so I can continue you until I meet that goal.

Joan

Joan41157.1338597801
Customer

I will get back in touch with you and let you know how he is doing this afternoon.

Thanks,

Andrea

I hope all goes well!.

Joan

Customer

Joan,

I need to know how many time's a day should he soak Leo? also what is the easy way to make a humid box?? if you know where I can go and see a picture of one it would help. Also he is still not pooping but he is eating some of the baby food.

My husband and son are arguing over whether or not they should feed him the waxworms or not and if so how often also how often should he have the warm bath's?? I am going NUTS with this poor things because my son is 14 and is very soft hearted when it comes to any kind of animal.

Leo is not wanting JT to rub his belly what now?? I look forward to hearing from you.

By the way, my oldest son has Bearded Dragon (3 years old) and he has him in a 29 gallon tank and has sand in it is that alright?? I am worried. What should he use on the bottom of the tank??

Thanks,

Andrea

The leo should soal once a day. As for the moist it is very eay to make: For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.

Now to settle the arugement about wax worms, They are ok as a treat, but not a staple food. The are candy to reptiles. We can try one more thing to get the bowels moving, we can dip a prey item in mineral oil like a worm and feed. wait 15 min and into teh warm soak. If this does not work, then it may take a Verp Vet visit to get things moving.

As for the Dragon, he needs a 40 gallon breeder tank. Get rid of the sand: The sand can cause some major issues with a Dragon. This will give you an idea
about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, slate or paper. Sand can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers in the eyes. The Dragon should be on 80% Veggies and 20% live prey. The UVB light needs to be changed every 6 months.

Joan

Joan41160.100104838
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.