My tailedizards tail fell off and ever since that happened he has not acted normal,he sleeps all the time and hasn't

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My long tailedizards tail fell off and ever since that happened he has not acted normal,he sleeps all the time and hasn't eatin ,its been 2 days now
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Is your lizard wild caught?

Do you have a UVB light?

Do you feed any supplements?

Do feed any soft bodied feeders?

Do you know how or why the tail was gone?

Joan

Customer
Hi mo I got the lizard at pet smart, yes I have a uvb light, what do you mean supplement , like calcium ? I dust the crickets and meal worms with that , I am not sure what soft body feeders are and I am not sure , we came home from swimming I wet to mist the cage and found it that way , It is also in a tank with 2 anoles and they are fine

Joan is offline now, but I can go ahead and help you. Thank you for the additional information you provided. Will you also tell me what temperatures you have in the cage under the basking light and on the cool side?

What brand is your UVB light? How old is the bulb?

How long have you had the lizards?

I'm sorry we have so many questions, but it can take a lot of information to figure out what is wrong. Thank you.

Anna
Customer
its a repti glo 5.0 we have had them for a 3 weeks the bulb is 3 weeks old , temp is 9o/75 cool side is 80 , but he died this morning Frown
I am so sorry to hear that you lost him. I suspect that whatever injury caused him to lose his tail, also resulted in internal injuries. There was probably nothing you could have done to save him.

For the sake of your anoles, I recommend that you get a different UVB bulb. An output of 5.0 is not strong enough. A Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style is a good brand. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs with an output of 10.0 must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. 5.0 lights will be ineffective after 3 months. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

If you decide to get another frilled lizard, it should have its own cage. It's never a good idea to keep different species in the same housing. They can give each other diseases, and it is nearly impossible to provide correct conditions for more than one type in the same cage.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. Again, I'm so sorry that you lost your lizard.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.