We have a red headed agama and its eyes seem to be stuck shut. I can see what looks like the lizard blinking under the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a a red headed agama and its eyes seem to be stuck shut. I can see what looks like the lizard blinking under the closed eye. One eye seems to be able to open a little looks like there is some covering over the eye that looks white-ish and possibly gooey. This all transpired over the past two weeks after a visit to the vet for a different red headed agama (which ever since has been living in a separate habitat due to a mouth infection and is doing well with a daily irrigation treatment and antibacterial medicine).

The Information:
Maie Red Headed Agama - Adult
Cage has repti-carpet as substrate
Cool side of cage 80-88 degrees
Basking/Warm side of cage - 90-100
Hides on both sides (cool and hot)
Feed: small crickets 3-4 times a week/ meal works 2 a week.
Food dusted with Calcium supplement.

The agama has recently shed about the time I have noticed the eyes were staying shut more and more. I've misted the eyes to see if they needed to shed but I think there is more to it than that. He hasn't eaten the last time he was fed (I assume cause he can't see the food).

The lizards have been doing great for a year now, until we went on vacation for two weeks and had hade someone taking care of them daily while we were gone.

Any ideas?
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

It sounds like you are dealing with retained eye caps. This is common with a shed. I have a picture of this in a Leopard Gecko, so you can see what it looks like in the eye: http://www.azeah.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=117 As you can see the white sort of gooey piece in the eye. If the eye caps have are retained it can get worse where the eye is closed but can move underneath.

You can try some soak to help with moisture and then use a drop of sterile saline to see if it loosens it up. If it does not work, then you will need to see the Herp Vet to check the eyes out, remove the eye caps or treat if an infection is present.

Joan

Joan41133.9562944097
Customer
This is what I believe it is but can I send a picture for you to see as all my research was what you replied with, I guess I was looking for a little more validation.

How long does it take for the caps to fall off in a shed, generally? We have had the lizards now for over a year and I have never noticed the shed on the eyes before or noticed they eyes being puffy.

You can use the Paper Clip Icon in the tool bar above the text box, or Photobucket.com and post a link. Eyecaps will sometimes will be retained and it is usually because the lack of humidity when shedding. This is more common in geckos, but I have seen it in Agamas and Bearded Dragons. Puffy eyes can be an indication of Hypovitamintosis A. What you describe sounded more like a retained eye cap. we see it in snakes all the time.

I will await a Picture and continue to assist you. My goal is total satisfaction for your answer.

Joan

Customer
Red Headed Agama Eye ProblemHere is the picture.

Thanks,

Chris

It does look like a retained eye. I would definately have the herp Vet check it out.

Joan

Hi Chris, I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.