I have a testudo graeca graeca i have him nearly 3 years and he is 4 years old, i have had him in a big tank since i got

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi i have a testudo graeca graeca i have him nearly 3 years and he is 4 years old, i have had him in a big tank since i got him with proper lighting substrate food the lot and he is fine, no pyramiding or health problems. I am moving him into a tortoise table and i bought a retisun 10.0 bulb for it. I wanted to know would this be adequate for all his lighting needs?, he has no other heat source as he is indoors the whole time and the room is always warm(not to warm).
Answered by Jav917 in 9 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

The Greek spur thighed tortoises need Greek tortoises require 12-14 hours of UVB light so the Reptisun 10.0 tube is great. The other light they need is a basking light to keep the daytime temps at 86-90*F. The Basking light can be hung in a dome canopy over the tortoise table. That should be fine for the lighting.

This link show a tortoise table where the UVB is mounted across the back of the table and the dome hangs above: http://tortoiseyard.com/images/TABLE%20LEFT.JPG

I hoe this helps you with your tortoise table lighting.

Joan

Joan41130.7270231829
Customer
hiya its not a tube light i got its a full spectrum 10.0 uvb uva bulb for the ceramic holder i have the current one in, it is also a basking lamp. It is a lot stronger than the one he has a the moment because it is a bigger area he is going into.

UVB lights are different than full spectrum. The Reptisun at 10.0 tube or coil bulbs. A Full Spectrum does not have a good UVB output. You need to be very cautious with this because UVB is so important for metaboliziing calcium and the health of the tortoise. This is some information on the lighting: http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html

You need to be sure that you have a UVB and not just a Full spectrum bulb.

Joan

Customer
its a 10% uvb 30% uva 26watt which is equal to 130watt standard incandescent

This is the bulb I suggest: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun%C2%AE-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0009YHSWK It may be the same one, but this is what I suggest. I also use a UVA basking bulb for heat as well as light, becuase a UVB does not put out the heat for basking.

Joan

Customer
yeah that is the same bulb as the one i got but mine is a bulb not a strip otherwise it is exactly the same lol thank you so much you have put my mind at ease now, i was so nervous because i know he should be in a tortoise table but because he is doing so well where he is i was afraid he would suffer for the change but now i think he will stay perfect, thank you so much again:)

Sometimes it is easier to show packaging than to explain. Glad it is the correct bulb. Have a great afternoon!

Joan

Hi Lorraine, I'm just following up on our conversation about George. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.