My 7 month old female panther chameleon is not eating much anymore. What could be the reason?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my 7 month old female panther chameleon is not eating much anymore. What could be the reason?
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

What type of hosuing do you have for your Chameleon

Do you have a UVB light? How old? Tube or coil? Strength?

Basking light?

Misting system?

Supplements?

Is she housed alone?

Whare is her enclosure in the house?

Joan

Customer
16x16x36 screen
Zilla uvb tube 25 tropical 15 watts

basking temp is around 85-90 degs

exo terra monsoon misting system

Herpivite Multi

exo terra calcium d3

she is housed alone

the enclosure is in a spare bedroom

How old is the UVB tube?

Have you tried any other feeders?

Is she able to use her tongue with no problems?

Joan

Customer
The tube is 6 months old and i've tried meal worms. She used to eat from my hand but now she just looks at it and ignores it.. Her tongue is fine and and drinks regularly from the spray bottle.

The husbandry sound very good. The only issue with the husbandry that may be causing a problem is the UVB is old. UVB bulbs loose potency after 6 months and sometimes sooner depending on the type of bulb. My personal preference is the Reptisun tube 8.0. The first suggestion I have is to have the UVB bulb changed and see if that makes a difference. Many time Chameleons are sensitive to UVB rays or lack of and that may be having an effect on your Chameleon.

The other issue would be parasites that can throw her off food. Parasites can come in through feeder insects. If this is the case you chameleon will need to be checked out by a Herp Vet and treated for parasites. I would be happy to try and locate a Herp Vet for you with a State.

I do have a couple of suggestions that you can try beside changing the UVB light. You can try some different feeders. Silk worms, Phoenix worms and goliath worms would all be good to try to entice her to eat. You can order them online www.coastalsilkworms.com or www.mulberryfarms.com. You cna also try some meat flavor stage 1 baby food mixed with calcium and drop on her snout and see if she will take some as a supplemental food.

Please let me know if you would like a list of Herp Vets by supplying a state and hitting reply to Expert.

Joan

Joan41126.768118831
Customer
One more question about this topic... Do you think she's gravid? I've read that if a chamleon is gravid it will stop eating for a little bit.

I thought abouth that and this is the season, but you would notice a lot of weight gain, as well as she is a bit young, but I cnanot rule that out. They can lay infertile eggs if not with a male. You could set up a lay box for her. This link has some instructions on making a lay bin: http://www.ehow.com/how_8614194_breed-ambilobe-panther-chameleons.html I prefer using a rubbermade bin for them to lay in, but the set up instructions are in the link.

The Vet can also check her for eggs if you take her in.

Joan

Customer
Her stomach is pretty big so I'm going to that. Thanks a bunch!

If she has not been with a male they will be infertile so can be frozen and disposed of after being laid.

I will follow up in a few days to see how things are going. Please do not forget to increase the calcium and change the UVB light for her health.

If the answer is satisfactory please Rate me with a smiley face so I can be compensated for my answer.

Joan

Joan41126.7806559375
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.