My son has a horned mountain lizard that we purchased about a week or so ago. When we first got him he was climbing on

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My son has a horned mountain lizard that we purchased about a week or so ago. When we first got him he was climbing on his logs and eating well. Now he seems very lethargic. I think he's still eating as we don't see any crickets left in his enclosure. Is he sick?
Answered by Anna in 27 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear that Krypto isn't doing well. Some additional information will be helpful.

What does the temperature in the basking area go down to before you turn it back on?

Has he been passing normal droppings?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have?

Thank you.

Anna

MsAM41098.9514087616
Customer
The temperature goes down to 79-81 degrees. He seems to be passing normal droppings and the size of the uvb light is 15w.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'll give you a first aid measure to take first. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your lizard for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

This species should never be kept in temperatures over 84*F. A 90*F basking area is all right, as long as there is plenty of room for Krypto to escape to much cooler areas. They do best between 70*F and 80*F. Being too warm will cause lethargy.

I don't believe you have a UVB light at all. UVB lights are not measured in watts, and they do not give off any heat. It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, as they are usually poorly-informed on this topic but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

There is a good chance that Krypto is sick or has parasites. Mountain horned dragons are usually wild-caught. Most of them have parasites and illnesses at the time they are purchased. I recommend that they be examined by a reptile vet shortly after purchase so anything wrong can be treated. This link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

In summary, make sure there are cool areas to escape to, provide soaks, and make an appointment with a reptile vet. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Krypto will be fine.

Anna

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask! There’s no additional fee for such follow-up questions.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces on the left, please stop, and instead reply to me via the REPLY button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please note that you are rating the completeness and accuracy of the answer and the quality of service you received, not how happy you are with the actual information provided.

Thank you.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.