I have an Indonesian Frilled Lizard, its about 9 inches and it is having what look to be seizures where its arms and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have an Indonesian Frilled Lizard, its about 9 inches long and it is having what look to be seizures where its arms and legs go straight back and stiff, its belly bloats, it shakes like its vibrating in my hand. What could be wrong with him?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 min 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Do you have a UVB light? How old? Tube or coil, strength and name of bulb?

Basking light?

Joan

Customer
Setup is a 29 gallon glass tank. it is Tall as Frilled Lizards need climbing room as well as ground room.

Diet consists of Blaptica Dubia roaches, a well known good feeder for reptiles. None bigger than width between Frilled's eyes. Mostly newborn baby roaches fed to him, less than the size of Lincoln's head on a Penny.

Only supplement has been small doses of calcium powder dusted on roaches every other meal.

I have a ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 UVB 18" tube bulb, brand new.

Basking is a ZooMed Heat bulb, 75 watt, basking spot temperature is at 100 degrees as recommended and confirmed by digital thermometer.

What you are describing happens with two issues the first is an overage of vitamin D3 and It does not sound like that would be the issue here.

The next reason is the onset of MBD. The UVB should be a reptisun 10.0 and the the calcium should be every meal for 5 days a week and two days a week for vitamins.

We can try some first aid, but I do suggest a Herp vet visit for a calcium draw, to see why the Frilled is showing signs of MBD. First give a 15 min soak in a 50/50 warm water and Plain Pedialyte solution and you can add some calcium powder to the soak. Reptiles absorb fluids through the Vent and this will help.

Next you can try mixing some meat flavored baby food with some calcium and dropping on the snout and see the the Frilled will take it. make sure the UVB is no more than 12 inches from the Frilled. The UVB should run 12-14 hours a day. Hopefully the frilled will take some of the calcium and the tremors will stop. If you need a Herp Vet I canlocate one with a State. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77742

Joan

Customer
Frilled Lizards are not Desert lizards, and do not require Reptisun 10.0 Desert UVB strength. They require a more tropical UVB, that being a Reptisun 5.0.

I have given it baths, and tried different levels of calcium and Vitamins, nothing changes.

I am 100% convinced this is something more towards disease or genes.

A good UVB light is needed with all Reptiles to metabolize the calcium. The amount of UVB 10.0 and has nothing to do with the Desert, it has to do with the output of UVB. If this is MBD, you need the calcium and the UVB output to be higher.When we have sever cases of MBD, we will recommend a Mercury Vapor bulb to metabolize the calcium because of the higher UVB output and we use it on all Reptiles that have MBD whether they are Tropical or desert to be sure the needed UVB rays are avialble to metabolize the calcium in the body.

The only way to know what is actually going on would be with a calcium draw and blood work to rule out MBD and other issues that can be causing this problem. I can locate a Herp vet for you with a State. Only a hands on exam can tell us exactly what is happening with the Frilled.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.