I have got 2 beared dragons but the male one keeps going red under his vhin and he also keeps banging the glass and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi I have got 2 beared dragons but the male one keeps going red under his vhin and he also keeps banging the glass and trying to sort of clime up it. I was hoping you gould tell me what to do or help
Answered by Jav917 in 33 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Are you still housing the Dragons together?

Are you sure this is the male Dragon?

Is there any other unusual behavior?

I may have further questions for you, but if you can answer these for now, I would appreciate it. Joan

Customer

Hi

yes i am housing them together as they where toeaghter from birth

Yes i am quite sure it is the male dragon

no unusual behavior apart from what i said about before

I do have a short video of the dragon doing what i have explained i think i have attached it to this message sorry about the video audio

if it does not work here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQZl1IvsgZQ&feature=youtu.be

I just viewed the video. What he is doing in glass dancing and the red is breeding color. This is usually excitement during breeding season in a male or on a female, it can be a sign she is wanting to lay eggs.

I suspect he senses another Dragon and is trying to get to it, since this is breeding season for dragons. I would just keep an eye on him for digging in the tank or other unusual behaviors. At this point, he looks great and the color is good. There is really nothing that I can suggest to do at this time, because he is showing some normal seasonal behavior, in the video. Joan

Customer
ok i forgot to say the female is digging i think to lay eggs. can i ask why is it after she layes eggs that they are at it (mateing) so short a time after laying as since i have had them i have had about 4 clusters of eggs not a long time apart

That is why I had told you that the Dragons should not be housed together. One breeding lasts the whole season. The male is over breeding female which will eventually take its toll on her.

A female Dragon can lay eggs every 4 weeks after one breeding for the whole season. The egg laying will eventually deplete her calcium resources and may cause her problems. Joan

Customer
Is there any way around not housing them to geather

If they are together they will continue to breed. You could put a divider in the tank, but that would limit the floor space that they need. The only other thing you can do is to have the female spayed. If she continues to breed and lay, eventually it will deplete her calcium levels and wear her down where you will loose her. Joan

Customer
what is the proceeder for getting her spayed

You would have to see the Herp Vet and let him know she is laying a clutch of eggs every 4 weeks and you care comcerned with calcium depletion and egg binding and she is housed with a male. The vet will discuss the procedure and cost with you. It is similiar to having a female dog spayed. Joan

Customer
1 other question do bearded dragons get bored/fed up and if so what can i do to help?

Dragons cannot rationalize like that. They enjoy some human company, but basically live to eat and bask. The do not get bored. They do understand touch and being held. The like to explore where there is food available. Joan

Joan41010.829940544
Customer
so would they like having a shallow bath

Hello

A Shallow bath a few days a week is very good for the Dragons. Periods in Natural sunlight is also very good. Joan

Joan41010.8337762384
Customer
when you say Natural sunlight how would i go best about doing it and how long for at a single time

I take my dragons out one by one and hold them and sit out for 30min to an hour. It may be safe to take yours out in a small tank or container where the Dragon cannot get loose. Make sure to offer a shelter in case it gets to warm. Joan

Customer

i do live in the United Kingdom does that affect it

If it is a nice day with reasonable temps, then there is no reason not to be able to take the Dragons out for short periods of time. I have a lot of Dragon owners in the UK that will do this. Joan

Customer
ok ill try it

I hope I have been of help. Joan

(Please do not forget to accept the answer if you have gotten a satisfactory answer)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.