I had alligator lizard. I think she pretty much gone now, so i dont think i can do anything,but maybe someone could help

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i had alligator lizard. I think she pretty much gone now, so i dont think i can do anything,but maybe someone could help me know what happened.
She is only bout year old and was eating well.today she was moving funny so i found small dischrge from tail that looked like a spot of blood and it was stuck to paper towel. so soaked paper towel to get her unstuck. the she was only moving to go and hide.now i think she gone.body stiff like. How can i tell for sure and what should i have noticed before now
Answered by Jav917 in 5 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set you have?

UVB light? Tube type or coil? How old?

Basking light?

Supplements?

Substrate or bedding type?

Joan

Customer
no lights. Put her outside for few hrs during day in plastic container. then have her inside at night. paper towel subtrate with egg carton to hide under

I am so sorry that this has happened to your Lizard. The proper husbandry is very important for the lizard's health

The Lizard needs to have a UVB light which supplies artificial sunlight. This is needed to work with a calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease which can affect the bones, and the organs. The lizard also needed a basking light.

If the conditions with the lighting and calcium supplement were not correct, then that could have shortened the life span. We also have to consider that your Lizard may have had intestinal parasites which could have accounted for the blood you had found.

From the description of the body being stiff, I have to suspect that the Lizard is gone. I am so sorry that you lost him/her. This is a care sheet for future reference, should you decide to get another: http://www.herphangout.com/caresheet.php?sheet=47

Joan

Customer
So outside sunlight is not enough? Is there something in the future that would tell me if there were internal parasites or soemthing to look for. this happened only today
Customer

The stool may look loose or off color, but the only way to know if there are internal parasites is with a Fecal sample tested at the Herp Vets office. They can check it and aslo give medication to treat the parasite issue if some are found. The parasites can affecte the lizard over time, so you may not know there is something wrong until it is too late. The fact you had seen the blood, can be an indication of parasites. Joan

Customer
Any ideas why it was stuck to paper towel or why she didnt pass anything? Stools always seemed consistent, but i could be wrong. There was usually digested roach parts or half digested roach I guess. I guess it is hard to tell if there are no telltale symtpoms.

The partial digestion could have been a result of paraistes and also in approprite temperatures. The warm temps, help to aid in digestion. As far as why the paper towel was stuck, I would haave had to seen it to give you a better idea on that. I did give you a great care sheet should you decide to get another Alligattor lizard. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.