My 6 yr old female iguana had started to change to a dark color apprx 1 1/2 wk ago and stopped eating and drinking. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 6 yr old female iguana had started to change to a dark color apprx 1 1/2 wk ago and stopped eating and drinking. I increased the heat in her cage and she started to eat a little and now I the last 12 hrs she has stopped eating and drinking and she is turning white and not moving does she need to go to the vet now how can u tell if she passed away her eyes are open and she is not responding
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about her set up?

Diet?

UVB light? Tube or coil? How old? Strength?

Basking light?

Last shed?

Supplements?

Have you given her a long soak?

Joan

Customer
I'm sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. She's not moved at all all day, she has one eye half open the other is closed. She is limp I can't even tell if she is breathing. She stopped drinking water about 2-3 days ago and stopped eating her food around 5 -6 days now. She has a tube UVB light and a daylight heat lamp. The last time she ate REAL good was when I gave her watermelon approximately 2 weeks ago. From there she just seemed to decline after that. She loves watermelon and she may get that a couple times a month along with turnip, and collard greens and iguana food (zoomed I think). I have her soaking in the tub in lukewarm water and she has been soaking all day with constant monitoring and water changes to keep the water warm with no change. Del Rey (my iguana or just Booby) is still limp I was going to keep her under a heat lamp tonite, if she's still limp, and take her to a vet in the morning I can't afford it right now but I don't want to see her suffer. Do you think she's dead or hibernating? And she hasn't shed for a few months now either. Any help would be appreciated I just don't see rigamortice she's also lost weight and turned a dark color last week and I moved the heat basking light a little closer to her but she did not get burned and it seemed to help for a day or 2 and now this. I'm sorry it's so long. And thank you!!!

I am so sorry she is having problems. This is not brumation, as Igs do not brumate they will shut down when cold, but will come right back when warmed up. You need to try adding some Plain Pedialyte to the warm water. That will help with dehydration. My concern is that Del Rey may be in Kidney Failure. This is a common issue in Iguanas and one of the biggest killers. http://www.greenigsociety.org/otherdiseases.htm#kidn

I would get him under a Good UVB light and the basking light. Get the basking temps into the high 80's range tonight.

I am concerned that she is limp with no movement that she may be gone. You should be able to feel the chest cavity for a pulse. You can try putting your hand on the left side of Del Rey and placing your fingers on her side, see if you feel her heart beat. You can also gently tap at the nose area net to the eye and see if you get a reflex response of eye movement.

I will stand by while you try these tests and let me know if you get a response. Joan

Joan40982.091950081
Customer
Del Rey is still limp, I couldn't feel a heart beat and I'm not getting any response when I tap on her nose. But I also notice an odor sort of like rotten eggs but she hasn't had a bowel movement is it a strong possibly that she has passed away? I always thought that they would be stiff, she's still limp but again I think I smelled something after I picked her up to check on her but I'm not sure.

Since Reptiles are cold blooded They do not stiffen up as a mammal does. I am afraid Del Rey, may be gone if she did not show any reflex response. You will notice if she is gone once out of the water her eyes will sink into the sockes. The smell is usually another thing that comes when a reptile passes. I am so sorry, I was not able to help her. It is so hard when we loose a friend. Joan

Customer
I just wanted to thank you again for all your help. It is so hard to loose a family member, I just hope she didn't suffer too long and I will bury her in the backyard by the pond. I loved her and I will miss her she was my Booby.

My condolences! I lost two Dragons this past year they were 14 and 15 years old, but it still hurts. I know it was beyond their years, but As you say, it is hard to let a family member go. Please visit www.Rainbowbridge.com as it always makes me feel better.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.