My leopard gecko has been lethargic and having loose watery stool for two days. I believe it is from over

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My young leopard gecko has been lethargic and having loose watery white stool for two days. I believe it is from over supplementation of vitamin D3 in her calcium supplement. I placed the supplement in a dish as well as sprinkled it on her daily meal worms and crickets. She has been refusing food for the past day and a half as well. What can I do to treat her? Could this also be due to improper terrarium heating and humidity conditions?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Temps and how measured?

Heat source?

Have you had a fecal done?

Joan

Customer

The set up is a 10 gallon terrarium with a heating pad placed under one side of the tank. The site of the heating pad is covered with a 10 inch wide 3 1/2 inch tall round hide where she likes to rest during the day. This side has been heated by a lamp placed on top of the screen and kept around 89 degrees, but i think the heating pad has caused the temperature to rise around 100 on the bottom of the terrarium. Since this morning I turned off the heating pad to cool down the bottom. On the other side I have a large piece of wood leaning up against the side of the tank such that it is on an angle starting in the middle of the tank up to one side such that she has a place to climb. A smaller half coconut hide about 3 1/2 inches in diameter is placed in the back corner to allow a cool spot. The 3 1/2 inch across water dish is also placed on this side. I try to keep the humidity level between 30 and 45 on the cooler side, which is lighted at night with the night time viewing bulb.

I have been placing a supplement called Leopard Gecko calcium plus made by Repashy Superfoods in a small dish just loose, and have been sprinkling it over her meal worms and crickets. It contains vitamin D3 in a 40,000 IU/Kg proportion.

The substrate is a sturdy cloth material covering the bottom of the tank. Her heat source is from the two lamps placed on the screen. The heat is a 50 watt, but was not heating accurately so was replaced with a 75 watt, and then her symptoms began to show, so i switched back to the 50 watt bulb.

I have not had a fecal done because I have yet to locate a vet in the area who works on reptiles. I purchased my gecko from a petco location, and bought all my materials there.

Thanks so much.

-Greta

I suspect that the Leo may have a Parsite issue. The white you are seeing is the Urates, but when we see loose stools that can indicate a virus or parasites. The normal temps should be 82*F-86*F. The Leos actually do not need an over head heat source, but just the under the tank heater for warmth as they sense heat from underneath. They are nocturnal, so day light sometimes will throw them off.

As far as D3, you need to be cautious because it can cause neurological issues if too much is ingested. I prefer plain calcium in the dish in the tank. At this point, I suggest a fecal and the Herp Vet visit, as this may be coccidia which is a protozoan parasite and can cause the loose stools. I would be happy to locate a Herp vet for you with a State.

Joan

I am not sure of the proximity to you, but this is a link for Herp Vets in SC: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/southcarolina.html

When the do the fecal ask for an acid fast stain to rule out Crypto. Not that I suspect it, but best to have it done. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.