My dragon seems to have a growth on her lip and a dry mouth. She is taking water but is low energy

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dragon seems to have a growth on her lip and a dry mouth. She is taking water but is low energy
Answered by Anna in 1 hour 10 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear your dragon isn't doing well. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Did the growth appear suddenly, or has it been there for awhile? Will you describe what it looks like?

What are the temperatures under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage?

Has your dragon been passing normal droppings?

What types of lighting and heating equipment do you have?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

Why do you think your beardie's mouth is dry?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
I'm sorry it was not a growth , just sand from the tank. She has not been eating well and has not had a movement in 6 days. I have a 75 watt bulb heating her and an uv light that I turn off at night. She seems only to like eating crickets and apples. She used to eat lettuce. I have tried to hand feed her but she refuses. She took some apple from my hand last week. I'm not sure of the temp in her tank. She also seems not to walking but draging herself. I picked her up to give her a warm bath this morning and she was moving her legs. I notice when I spray water on her nose she will drink but she will open her mouth wide after a few moments like she is having trouble swallowing .
Thank you for getting back to me. I’m working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. Please don’t respond to this post as that can lock me out of the question. I’ll be back shortly.

Anna
Thank you for waiting. First of all, I'm going to assume you have a bearded dragon because they are more common. If you have a water dragon instead, let me know because some of the information will be different. I suspect you got your information on care from a pet store - most people do. Unfortunately, the information given out in pet stores is often wrong, though the clerks mean well. When care is adequate, but not optimal, it can take years before a health problem shows up. At this point, it sounds like your beardie has several health conditions. It's not your fault because you were doing what you were told was best, XXXXX XXXXX you want to return your dragon to health, there are some important changes you'll need to make.

We'll start with a first aid measure. You are on the right track with baths, but there's away to make them better, and also help with the constipation. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Also add a spoonful of plain calcium powder and stir it in as best you can. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with her still in the water, gently massage her underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help her pass some feces. Try to get her to swim while she's in the water, as that can help, too. Be sure to supervise closely.

Next, you need to get a digital probe thermometer to check temperatures. Proper temperatures are so important that we can't just guess at them. You can buy a thermometer at a discount store - it doesn't have to be something from a pet store.For an adult beardie, the basking area should be 105* to 115*F, so it would be a good idea to increase the temperature on that side. Your cool side should be 80* - 85*F. Night temperatures can be allowed to drop into the 70*s.

The sand substrate is not good. Despite the fact that it is highly recommended, more often than not, it leads to impaction. That is most likely why your beardie is not passing droppings.I recommend that you switch to a solid substrate, such as reptile carpet or ceramic tile. Until you can get a different substrate, use plain paper towels. If you’d like to see the results of using sand, you can take a look at the following site. The photos are graphic, so if such things bother you, you may not want to look.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 calci sand

Once your dragon has had a couple of soaks, and has been warm enough for a few hours, you can try feeding. Get some plain chicken baby food. Mix in some calcium powder. Drop a small dollop right on the end of her snout. Most of the time, they will lick it off.

The weakness of the back legs and trouble swallowing may indicate Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). However, severe constipation/impaction can also cause an inability to use the back legs. I suspect that your UV light is not a UVB light. They are not the same. without UVB light, MBD will develop. It's extremely important that you have a light that produces UVB rays, and that the bulb is fresh. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

Young beardies thrive on a diet of mostly prey insects, but at age 3, a beardie’s diet should be about 80% greens and 20% prey. It would be a good idea to introduce other produce. Romaine lettuce is OK, but it's not good to stick with just one type of greens. Variety is very important. Keep trying different ones, and don’t quit offering it if she’s picky. Fruit should be a treat only. Your beardie should have greens every day. This reputable website has great information on what vegetables to feed, and how often:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I recommend it for all bearded dragon owners.

Try the first aid measures today. If your dragon isn't greatly improved by tomorrow, it would be best to make an appointment with a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. Joan has many years experience keeping and rescuing beardies. I suggest that you use the care sheet as a check list to provide the best possible care for your beardie. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will reach a full recovery.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

* Bearded dragons should be housed alone.

* Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:

1. 0-3 months- baby
2. 3-12 months-juvenile
3. 12-18 months- sub adult
4. 18 months + -adult

* Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
* Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
* When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
* Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
* Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
* Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
* A hide of some sort like a cave.
* A food dish and water dish.
* Plastic spray bottle
* Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
* Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
* Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
* Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

* Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

* Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 110-125 degrees F (43.5* to 51.5*C)
Cool side: 85-90 (29.5* to 32*C)
Adults: Warm basking spot: 105-115F (40.5*C to 46*C)

Cool side: 80-85F (27*C to 29*C)

Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

* Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed mealworms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
* A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
* What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be waxworms, super worms, and tomato/goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
* Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
* A baby can eat 50-75 crix a day. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
* You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
* Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of hibernation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live prey during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.