My bearded dragon has recently been scratching the glass of her vivarium quite frantically. I feed her worms every 2-3

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My bearded dragon has recently been scratching the glass of her vivarium quite frantically. I feed her worms every 2-3 days as well as crickets when available and she is otherwise quite docile. Could it be the timing of her UV lamp? I have also thought of releasing her into the wild - is this a good idea?
Answered by Jav917 in 6 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Please do not release her. She is showing signs of wanting to lay eggs. You will need to set up a lay box for her. Once the lay box is set, please place her in it and see if she will lay her eggs. Female Reptiles can lay infertile eggs without a male.

If you do not want to go through this process, I will give you a link for Herp Vets who may be able to place her in another home rather than releasing her. She is a non native species and should not be released in the area. This is a link for breeding bearded Dragons 101. It goes over the procedure for setting up a lay box. once the eggs are laid, you can safely dispose of them.

http://repticzone.com/articles/beardeddragonbreeding101hrtmtn.html

Herp Vets in South Africa: http://www.reptilepets.co.za/rp90sa20.htm

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.