My bearded dragon is about 7 years old. He tends to hibernat every winter, but the last few days he's been going into

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My bearded dragon is about 7 years old. He tends to hibernat every winter, but the last few days he's been going into cold spots of his cage and he's starting to turn black. I found him lifeless about 30 minutes ago. Thinking he was dead I've been holding him outside in the warmth. He's started opening his mouth and taking little breaths. He still won't open his eyes, is there something I can do to save him, or should I just let him pass?
Answered by Jav917 in 29 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me what the temps are in the enclosure?

Are the limbs Flacid?

Are the eyes sunk in?

Have you done a soak?

joan

Customer
Yes his eyes are a little sunken in and he won't open them. He actually seemed more stiff than limp. I thought he was dead for sure till he started taking some breaths outside. Have not done a soak.

The Dragon sounds dehydrated. I would like you to support the Dragon in a soak of 50/50 warm water and Plain Pedialyte. Soak for 20 mins. Once the soak is done please place the Dragon in the enclosure with the temps under the basking light at 100-110*F. Hopefully he will respond. We need to warm the body up and stop the dehydration. Please let me know if he responds to the soak. If he does we need to get him into a Herp Vet for rehydration with an IV. Joan

Joan40934.9686829051
Customer
He's dead. I just left the vet.

I am so sorry for the loss. I wish we could have saved him. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.