My Veiled chameleon lower jaw appears to be much larger than his upper jaw. He is now lethargic and unable to catch

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Veiled chameleon lower jaw appears to be much larger than his upper jaw. He is now lethargic and unable to catch crickets. I have been feeding him by hand, baby food with vitamin and calcium supplements. What else can I do?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

How old is the Chameleon?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Heat source and temp?

Supplements?

UVB light? How old? Type coil or tube? Strength?

Can you post a picture please use the paper clip Icon or if you do not have a tool bar, please use Photobucket and post a link here.

Joan

Customer
He is 18 months old. In a mesh 16 x 16 x 24 (I think...it may be bigger) terrarium with climbing branches fake leaves and real pothos plant. He eats Crickets and meal worms, or used to...he now is having trouble catching them. He has heat lamp and a UVB coil light both above his cage, we got him from his breeder who suggested and instructed us on this housing...it is what she uses for all of her chameleons. We gut load the crickets with a calcium and vitamin supplement as everyone suggests, as well as giving him a vitiamin supplement directly.
graphic

The last time he shed was a few months ago, but this is a clear shot of his head....since he hasn't grown he hasn't shed.......
graphic
graphic
This is Rex at about 1 - 2 months old....he has only gotten a bit larger, He weighed about 2-3 grams in this photo and only weighs 5-6 now!
graphic

Thank-you for the pictures. Please give me a few mins to trype an answer. Joan

There are a few possibilites of what may be going on here. The first is Metabolic Bone Disease which is due to the lack of calcium and inadequate UVB. This causes bone issues as well as organ issues. The way we treat it is to use a Good UVB bulb like a tube type Reptisun 10.0 along with dusting all prey with a good plain calcium supplement at least 5 days a week. This supplies the adequate amount of calcium and the UVB light helps to metabolize it in the body.

The next possible issue is an abscess in the jaw due to a piece of prey caught in the gum line, or again this also may be a result of MBD.

The Chameleon may also be dehydrated as you need to have a mister to make sure that he gets enough fluids and to keep the humidity up in the habitat.

At this point, I would add a mister, get the UVB bulb suggested and get it within 12 inches of the Chameleon and get some plain calcium and mix with a Meat flavored baby food and dry to offer it.

The Chameleon will need to see a Herp vet to get a definitive diagnosis and if needed a calcium shot to jump start him as well as fluids. I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. Joan

http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-b-metabolic-bone.html

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.