Have a chinese water dragon. Seems less active. Still eating. Sometimes breathes hard. What is gaping?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Have a young chinese water dragon. Seems less active. Still eating. Sometimes breathes hard. What is gaping?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light? How old? Tube or coil and strength?

Passing stool?

Temps and how measured?

When you say breathing hard can you describe that a little more for me?

Any dissharge from nose?

Joan

Customer
20 gallon tall bought for her. Large basking lamp. 25 watt uv lamp. Was eating gut fed crickets but having trouble getting them so recently switched to meal worms. Calcium powder. Everything new for this pet so @3mos or less. Less stool lately. A lot less. Two thermometers in different parts of tank n humidity gage. 76-85 degrees depending on which side of tank. Humidity has been prob lately. Shooting for 80%. Dros to 30-40 daily n has to be recovered. No discharge. When i rouse her, she breathes noticably deeper. Sometimes see puffing cheeks. Sometimes smacking air like tasting it.

You increase the humidity, you can add a mister or a dripper which will help with the humidity. You need to try and get a digital probe thermometer which will give you a better reading on the temps. We ahve found the suck on theremometers can be off as much as 20* either way.

It sounds like ther may be a couple of issues going on. The first may be a parasite issue which can slow the appetite down which can also cause lethargy and lack of appetite. The other issue may be a respiratory issue from the sound of breathing heavily. Normally Gaping is done to thermoregulate when under a basking light. They gape to let out heat.

This is a link on Water dragon Ailments written by Tricia who is well known for her information on water dragons: http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/ailments.htm

If you need a Herp Vet, I would be happy to locate one for you with a State. Joan

Customer
Is gaping what i am describing. When calm; breathing is barely noticable.

Gaping is when the Lizard would sit under a heat lamp and keep the mouth open to release excess heat from the body. It is done for about 5 mins. at a time and if too warm the Lizard will move to a cooler area of the enclosure.. What you are describing sounds more a respiratory issue. This is a frilled lizard, but it gaping so you cna get an idea of what it looks like: http://us.fotolia.com/id/35213887

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.