My 7 month old bearded dragon last week was having trouble moving her right front leg. i took her to the vet and he said

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my 7 month old bearded dragon last week was having trouble moving her right front leg. i took her to the vet and he said there was no bone breakage or bone issues of any kind and to quarantine her and keep an eye out. she has been eating considerably less, but gained movement back in her limbs. i have continued keeping her in a separate enclosure, but she has not been eating much at all. i have a UVB light and keep the temperature gradient between 80 degrees on one end and about 105-110 degrees on the other end in the basking spot. i feed her collard greens and squash, dusted crickets, and mealworms (that have shed their impaction causing outer skin) everyday. i also have a shallow water dish and spray her twice daily. this morning i found my bearded dragon with black around her shoulders, sides of face, neck, chest, and stomach. she seems very stiff and will hardly keep her eyes open. what should i do?
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me what type of UVB light you are using? How old is it? Strength?

Was the Vet you had seen a Reptile Specialist?

Did they do blood work?

What type of supplements are you using?

What type of substrate are you using?

Joan

Joan40876.8232865394
Customer
I'm using a new zilla 30" strip light UVB. the vet is not a reptile specialist, but sees many reptiles. he said the x-rays showed no signs of metabolic bone disease. he did not do bloodwork that i am aware of though. i'm using repashy superfood's bearded dragon calcium plus as a supplement. i'm feeding crickets and shedded mealworms as live prey. i've used both sand and carpet as substrate.

The first thing is I feel this Dragon needs to see an experienced Herp Vet as she is showing some mixed signs of MBD and other medical issues. The She does not cause impactions in Dragons, but meal worms as well as sand will. You can read more about sand impaction here: Sand as a substrate:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 Meal worms are high in chitin which is the outer shell and can also casue impaction.

At this point we are going to continue with the warm soaks of 50/50 warm water and plan Pedialyte. Soak for 30 mins and massage the abdomen while in the soak. This hopefully will help to get some stool to pass. I would like you try try and get teh Dragon to eat some meat flavored baby food stage 1 withsome calcium powder in it.

You mention that you are quarantining the Dragon. It should never be housed with another Dragon. They are solitary and the only time we bring them together is when we breed and take the female to the male's tank and remove after breeding.

I would like to see some blood work done as well as a Fecal done. I suspect there is more going on than what the Vet has found. The temps are correct and the veggie diet is good, but there is something else going on that needs to be addressed by a specialist hands on. I cannot quite pinpoint it because I cannot see the Dragon. Please supply a State and I will locate a Specialist that can properly diagnose the Dragon. I am hoping the blood work and the fecal will reveal something. Joan

Customer
i live in florence, alabama and i have not been able to find a specialist close by

This is the link for the Herp Vets in AL: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/alabama.html You may have to travel a bit, but this Dragon needs to be see by someone who knows about Dragons and their illnesses. I wish I could give you a solution for at home, but there is something there that needs to be addressed with blood and a fecal. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.