Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My tortoises have not been eating after being in cedar

Customer Question
shaving bedding fro a few...
My tortoises have not been eating after being in cedar shaving bedding fro a few days. I just found out that the cedar is toxic to them. How do I treat the toroises for the exposure?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Reptile
11/8/2011
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 6 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

The soaks will help, but having a Vet check out the tortoises and possibly give them IV fluids to the tortoises may be more helpful. The IV will help flush the kidneys and the toxins that have built up in them from the cedar bedding.

There is no real at home treatment. Make sure the habitat and all dishes and cage furniture have been cleaned well.

I would be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. Joan