My bearded dragon Sebastian has pooped for 12 days. I am soooooo worried. He is 3 years old and he was given to me 6

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, my bearded dragon Sebastian has pooped for 12 days. I am soooooo worried. He is 3 years old and he was given to me 6 months ago. I give veggies everyday and a treat every now and then. A treat like fruits and horn worms every now and then. He gets crickets once a week. I usually dust them with calcium. As a matter of fact he gets dusted calcium food every 2 to 3 days. He gets vitamin dusted on crickets once a week. His heated side is between 105 and 115 and his cool side is between 75 and 80. He's in a 40 gallon long tank with a uv light of 10.0 Repti Sun. His substrate is half repti carpet and the other half with country critter (Pellets). I've bathed him once every day, given him a little mineral oil and he hardly eats. He ate nothing today and yesterday. The day before than he ate 1 horn worm. He's moving around well, not dragging his legs or acting sluggish. Please helppppppppppppp!
Answered by Jav917 in 6 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Is the weather getting cooler where you live?

Do you feed in the same tank where the pellets are?

Have you had a fecal check?

How old is the UVB light?

Let me understand he has not passed stool for 12 days?

Joan

Joan40839.161453044
Customer
The uv light was purchased in June and I plan on replacing it in December, because that gives me 6 months just in case it doesn't burn out but the uv rays stop working. I have never had a fecal check and now I don't have any. Yes I do fee him in the same tank where the pellets are but the water dish and food tray are on his carpet side. I also watch him whenever he eats live food because it moves about and I watch him to see if he takes in a pellet. He has a few times but he immediately spits it out. Yes, it is definitely getting colder here in Chicago. I just purchased a heating pad today.

Helloo,

It is not unusual for an older Dragon not to pass stool for a week or two. As they get older they do not pass stool as often. From the sound of the slowing on eating and lack of stool you may have a Dragon stating into the brumation period. During this time a Dragon does not eat or drink and goes into a deep sleep for 12-15 weeks.

Do not try to force feed. I usually keep fresh greens in if they wake up and want a munch. I weigh them once a week to be sure there is no weight loss. If there is a weight lose and it is significant, I get them into the Herp Vet for an exam. I usually try and weigh them, have a fecal done and be sure all is ok, before brumation. Once a week I actually give a soak in a 50/50 solution of Plain Pedialyte and warm water. This prevents dehydration during the long sleep. The UVB should be on for 8 hours a day. The amount of time in brumation can vary in time they are down. Sometimes we will see them awaken early on, only to go back under a few days later. By giving the soaks during the brumation it helps to maintain, a proper electrolyte balance. Joan

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

I am going to give you a link for a Herp Vet in IL where they can check out Sebastian for parasites and make sure all is well. The vet can do a cloacal swab for parasites if there is no stool. This is a link for Herp Vets in IL: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/illinois.html

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.