A juvenile desert tortoise mounted my female tort, age approx.55or60 years. I saw a lot of fluid as I removed him, so is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: A juvenile desert tortoise mounted my female tort, age approx.55or60 years. I saw a lot of fluid as I removed him, so is this a definate pregnancy or do they not always get pregnant or what ever can you tell me . I definitely do not want babies! Is it too late? Thanks D.K.in Az.
Answered by Jav917 in 7 hours 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

The tortoises like to breed late in the summer, it very possible that she will be gravid and be looking to lay eggs in the near future. The tortoises need to have an area to lay their eggs and I would increase her calcium intake.

A female can retain sperm for a year, so even if she does not lay this year, she may still lay fertile eggs next season.They can lay 3-4 eggs at a time and 2-3 clutches after one breeding. This link goes over breeding and laying of Desert tortoises: http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_tort.html

You may want to have her into the Herp Vet is a few weeks to have an X ray to see if she is gravid. Unfortunately there is no way to stop her is she is gravid, but you can always see if someone wants the eggs and to incubate them by calling some local tortoise rescues. These societies and Rescues may be able to help if you do have eggs: http://www.anapsid.org/societies/arizona.html

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.