I found two new hatchling turtles earlier this summer crossing the road. They are MN Painted Turtles. I have had them

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I found two new hatchling turtles earlier this summer crossing the road. They are MN Painted Turtles. I have had them for several weeks and I am feeding them dried river shrimp. They were each originally the size of a nickle now they are both the size of silver dollars. I want to keep them over winter and I am wondering how I do that effectively because their natural instinct is to hibernate. Can you help? Also, what size container would you suggest and can I keep them in an aquarium as long as they have rocks to bask in the sunlight? Also, can I keep very small fresh water fish with them such as guppies? I know they can eat fish so, don't know if that is such a good idea. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX MN
Answered by Jav917 in 11 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

You will need about a 70 gallon tank for these turtles now and bigger as they grow. These turtles do like deep water. They need a Basking light and a UBV tube bulb Reptisun 10.0. The UVB works in conjunction with calcium to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. Without the UVB and the calcium they can develop illness and have bone and organ issues.

You should be offering veggies, prey items as well as a good quality pellet food like Mazuri turtle pellets. The are omnivores, but as juveniles will lean towards prey items. You need to be cautious with this because of pyramiding of the shell.

This is a care sheet for these turtles: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-eastern_painted.htm

As far as brumating these turtles can be kept regulating in a tank with a heater for the water and a basking light. We usually do not see brumation if kept inside in a controlled environment with juveniles under a year and a half old. Joan

Joan40787.0973982639

If the question is a follow up for this question I can answer it here at no extra charge. If it is a new question in relation to something else, You can request me and I will be happy to help. Joan

Customer
It is related...Do you need me to ask it again? I typed it in the box for asking a new question but, it is related to my turtles. Basically, I was asking if you would recommend I release them and what their chances of survival would be because I have kept them for the past 3 months in captivity. I want the best for them and they are still so small and the lake I live on is very big (10,000 acres). I have been drawing water from this lake for their "home". BTW, every night when it is dark and I look into their container, I see snails that have emerged. Do they eat them? That would be great if they did because it would give them something live to eat.

They most likely would be better with you if you have kept them and have been feeding them as long as you have the correct set up and husbandry. They do make good pets and are a beginner turtle. If you choose not to keep them, then I can try and locate a rescue that you can turn them over to. Being so young this winter alone may be rough on them. If they are released in the spring they would be able to adapt. The snails are coming out because of the pond plants and the water. You would be better served to use some bottle water and not have to deal with the snails. Please let me know if yo need a rescue for the turtles. Joan

Customer

thank you, so much. At this point, I would like to try all of your advice and keep them through the winter at least. I just hope they eat and remain as healthy as they seem now. Do I have to pay again for this last info since I have a trial membership and can ask 5 questions a month. I want you to be paid of course, but, my understanding is that I shouldn't pay that fee again until I have asked 5 different questions. thanks

You do not have to pay again as follow up questions are no charge. If you choose to leave a bonus, that would be your choice, but I have been paid for the question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need further help. Joan

Customer

Thank you, you have been great. I feel so responsible for these little guys, you have no idea. I found them while walking my dog, Molly and she saw them first but, thankfully, stayed back while I picked them up and carried them home. Since then I have stopped numerous times this summer for mama turtles who are in the middle of the highway trying to find a place to lay their eggs. I have even been known to stop traffic while I carry them to safety.

Need to find a 70 gallon tank now. Thank you.

Lorraine

Hope all goes well! I will be here if needed. You will make a great turtle mom. Joan

Customer

That makes me very happy to hear especially coming from you! Have a good night. I will keep you informed if that is ok.

Lorraine

Just respond here about the turtles. Book mark the page. Joan

Customer
Ok, thanks
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.