I might be in a few weeks be looking to incubate some bearded dragon eggs but i was wondering what temp the incubator

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I might be in a few weeks be looking to incubate some bearded dragon eggs but i was wondering what temp the incubator needs to be at and should it be kept at it all the time untill they have hatched

Thank you
Answered by Jav917 in 17 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

You will need to have the incubator set up in advance. The temps you want to set it at will determine the sex of the hatchlings. I use 83-84*F to get a mix of male and females.

I use the plastic sandwich containers like glad ware or Deli cups. Make about 5 small holes in the lid the size of a pencil. Fill the containers 1/2 way with either perlite or vermiculite soil or a mix of the two. If you are using vermiculite add warm water and let it sit. Add a little at a time until you can pinch and get just a drop of water out when you squeeze it. Let it out and make depressions in the substrate with your finger and add the eggs.

You will want to mark the tops of the eggs, so you can use a sharpie marker and draw a line on the top of the eggs. This lets you know if one rolls but personally. Do not snap lids down just rest them on there, it makes it easier if I need to get into the containers if you need to. As it gets closer to hatching, you will want to snap the lids, so you do not have babies running all over the incubator.

Hovabator still air model (no fan) is the best type of incubator. Put the eggs in containers good thermometer, so you are sure of temps. Incubation should be at approximately 60 days at this temp. There should be condensation up the sides of the containers to the substrate line but not above, and not on the top.You may have to vent by propping the lid up for a little bit so there is not an over amount of humidity. The eggs should be Plumping and stay dry. If the eggs are wet your humidity is too high and you need to vent. If they get dimpled the humidity is to low you need to add a some water directly to the substrate. DO NOT mist the eggs, this can suffocate the babies.

Joan

Customer
how can I tell if my bearded dragon is pregnant in the very early stage like a week after mating. The reason I ask is Thant I dont want to buy an incubator and find out I have wasted all the money on one and nothing happens

There is no way tp really tell until after she has mated and starts to gain weight. You will notice her putting on wight and you should be able to feel like marbles in the abdomen.

She should be at least 18 months old and 350 grams at time of breeding, or you may run into some problems. An incubator is only about $40-$60 and should be available. Females can lay eggs without a male present. They will be infertile, but have a tay bin available at all time. Whe the get ready to lay the will try and claw at the tank, start acting like digging and go off food.

Prior to her laying make sure she gets plenty of calcium and a well balance diet of greens and prey.

A large Rubbermaid tub works well for lay box. Cut a hole in about 1/2 of the lid for a clamp light to fit through. Dump a 50lb bag of dirt mixed with vermiculite in the bin and moisten the dirt but not muddy. Pile the dirt in a mound on one end of the bin and the light on the other about 12-18 inches deep. Put the lid on, point the light at the mound and add your girl. Laying can take anywhere from a few minutes to several days. She should dig a hole, back into it, deposit her eggs and burry the hole. Leave her in there during the whole process. She does not need to eat or drink at this time as she will go into a trance. Joan

Customer
ok but how long now do i need to wait as its been a week now

The gestation period is 20-30 days and should lay anywhere between that time span. By 15 days in you should start noticing the wight gain. Some Dragons are hard to tell. The can lay again in about 20-30 days again for the season as the retain sperm, so you may have several clutches a year from one breeding. Joan

This is a picture of a gravid Dragon, pleae notice the bumpy abdomen:

Customer
if i buy an incubator for the bearded dragon eggs what temp (c) would i set it at

You want to have the incubator set at 83*-84*F to get a mixture of males and females. If you go higher you will have males and lower females. At this temp, you will get a mixture as the temp. determines the sex of the babies. Joan

Customer
Hi i have been looking for the Hovabator still air model incubator you talk about but i cant seem to find anything about it . or is there another make of incubator i could use as i am not looking to spend much money as it would be my first time

I Live In The United Kingdom

Thank you
Customer

Hello again it has been about 8 days now. Do you think it is a bit soon to notice anything with my dragons

You may start to notice some weight gain, but she will not show signs of getting ready to lay until somewhere between 20-30 days. Make sure the two Dragons are separated and do not live together. THis can cause over breeding. Joan

Customer
is it better to make a homemade incubator or buy a complete one from a reptile shop

The ones I posted will be safer and more effective in hatching the eggs. They can be easily controlled and are not thta expensive. The two on Ebay listed above are the ones I recommend. Joan

Customer
Hi thank you for your help i cant wait to see it i there are any eggs lade just 1 thing what do i need to put in the viv to encourage her to lay the eggs as I dont have much room in the viv

I hope all goes well with the eggs. When she is ready to lay you need to put her in the lay bin as I described above. Remember she can turn around and lay a second clutch within 30 days after the first clutch. Make sure she had plenty of calcium and proper diet. After al the eggs are laid, do not forget to give her a good soak and plenty of food, as she will go off before laying. Joan

(Please do not forget to accept the answer if happy with the answer and positive feedback is welcomed)

Joan40782.9311997685

Incase you missed it, here is the instruction for the lay bin:

Customer
how do you mean clamp light to fit through. and could i not fill it with Moss

This is a picture of a lay Bin:

The lay box should be at least 12-18" deep and 24-36" long and at least wide enough for her to turn around. Dump a 50lb bag of dirt mixed with vermiculite in the bin and moisten the dirt but not muddy. Pile the dirt in a mound on one end of the bin and the light on the other about 12-18 inches deep. Make sure has plenty of privacy . A towel covering the the lay box....or a lid , with a hole cut into it so the clamp light can warm the mixture where she is going to lay. She will want to be secretive and feel secure that her eggs will survive.
joan

Customer
hi i have now added a dark hide filled with damp not wet vermiculite. i was wondering what i do now

You cannot use the hide is is too small as she needs a lay bin as described above. I sent you a picture of what you need to have for a lay bin. When she starts to go off food and starts to glass dance, then she needs to be placed in the lay. bin. A dark moist hide is not acceptable for her to lay her eggs in. I have given you all the information and instructions, but it is up to you now to have it all ready for her. Joan

Please do not forget to press the accept button so I can get paid for my time.

Customer
the hide i made up is a very large cat litter tray ans she fits in it ok

what did you mean by glass dance

That is still not big enough. If you look at the picture we usually use a large rubbermade bin set up as in the description and picture. Glass dancing is when the Dragon stands on the hind legs and act as it it wants to get out. she will also go off food. at that time she will need to be placed in the lay bin. Joan

Customer
there heads keep on bobbing up and down quite a lot and sometimes quite fast does that mean anything

No that is just a way of communicating. It has nothing to do with egg laying. We have actually gone way off track from your original question which was : " I might be in a few weeks be looking to incubate some bearded dragon eggs but i was wondering what temp the incubator needs to be at and should it be kept at it all the time until they have hatched "

Normally the site would have you post these as individual questions because I answered you initial question, and we have migrated through finding you an incubator and setting up for eggs and other questions not pertaining to the original question. I am really not supposed to do this, but I am trying to help. Joan

Joan40786.6442211806
Customer
i am sorry if that has happend

The site allows us follow ups pertaining the initial questions, but if other questions are asked they are supposed to be posted separately. I have gone ahead and tried to assist you, but wanted to let you know how the site works. Joan

Customer
Hi i have had some Bearded Dragon eggs layed today in the lay box but i have a problem as i have not been able to get an incubator yet

What do i do!! till i get one

This link is a how to for incubators: http://www.ehow.com/how_6331944_make-incubator-bearded-dragon-eggs.html

Hopefully you can have it ready and get the eggs in it, Be prepared for eggs in another 20-30 days again. Joan

Customer
what do i do now as i do i do now as i have got some eggs but no incubator. what is the best way to keep them until i get one

This is the link that I just gave you above to set up a homemade incubator. It is the only way to save the eggs:

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.