My panther chameleon seems to be ill, not sure, he has been on the bottom of his cage for a few days, and his eyes look

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my panther chameleon seems to be ill, not sure, he has been on the bottom of his cage for a few days, and his eyes look shut, dosn't seem to be eating what could be the problem? thanks - Patti in ME.
Answered by Jav917 in 13 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

How old is your UVB light?

What supplements do you feed?

Do you have a Mister or a dripper?

Is the Chameleon eating or drinking?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer
good evening Joan, thank you for replying. the uvb bulb is new 3 days,
i generally just dust the crickets with the powder, I have a mister and i haven't noticed if he is eating or drinking, he seems very much asleep. He does move in the cage, up about half of what he was doing and my boyfriend and I cleaned out his cage last night and there wasnt much in there. he has also just been introduced to two females, could that be the issue? they were all purchased at the same time but I just took down the seperater.

Chameleons are the most delicate of Reptiles and sometimes stress will get them ill.

The first thing is to make sure he is not in a high traffic area. This will help reduce stress. Next in the eyes you can use some Sterile Saline Eye Drops (the type used for contact lens wears). You can use it in the eye 3-4 times a day incase there is debris in the eye.

If he will allow it, you can give a soak in a 50 50 solution of plain pedialyte and warm water only up to the Vent area. This will help with dehydration. If he does not react well, then you can just mist him with the mixture.

This may be a stress issue or it may be an issue because of the new females. Reptiles when stressed can get a paraiste bloom, which we need to take into consideration. We also need to be sure he is getting 12-14 hours of UVB and basking light during the summer months and back to 6-8 hours in the winter.

If you supply a State I can locate a Herp Vet for you as I do feel he needs a hands on exam. Joan

Customer
joan, I live in the Portland Maine area. you said it could be from a high stress area, He is also in a room with other Reptiles and Birds could the bird dander be one of the problems, I have a milner chameleon and he has no problems what so ever and he is in the same room. I dont generally shut off his heat light either, should I be doing that?

They do need down time with the lights. If you need a light for heat I suggest a black light as it does not bother them. This may very well be a stress issue or parasites. The fact he is down in the bottom of the enclosure is not good and he needs to get some prey and fluids into him. Make sure you are misting him so he will drink off the leaves. We do not want him dehydrating.

I will give you a link for Herp Vets in ME: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/maine.html

It seems there is something going on with panther Chameleons, I have had 3 with illness this week. As far as the Vet, you may have to travel a bit, but these vets treat Reptiles. Joan

Customer
thank you Joan, i will try your suggestions, and I will keep the vet link handy. thank you for being up so late. I will let you know how i made out. -----Loving my colors Patti in Maine!

Hope all goes well! Joan

Joan40743.2029135417
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.