There are tiny ants and eggs in my crested eyelash gecko vivarium. it's a organic soil set up with plants and I hate to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: There are tiny ants and eggs in my crested eyelash gecko vivarium. it's a organic soil set up with plants and I hate to tear it apart to get rid of the ants. It is amazing, it is self cleaning, never smells bad, and they geckos are doing very well. they have even bred.
The ants don't seem to bother the cresteds, but there are a ton of them in there making nests in the damp wood chips that are on top of the organic earth.
can I leave it alone and expect them to eat the ants? or do I need to dump it and start again. it's a 150 gallon long tank.
And what about diatomatious earth? would that work to keep the ants, but not hurt my geckos?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Are you sure they are ants?

Do you feed crickets at all to the Cresteds?

What type of diet do you feed?

Joan

Customer

Yes. they are very small ants. I wish they were pin head crickets! but I've had baby crickets and these are definitely ants. they are the very small ones that come in to the house every year. we have them in the kitchen, even if there is no food any where, they come to check any way. they are in to my bird food bowls in my bird room too. but this is the first time I've seen them make nests with tons of little white eggs. they do it out side too, all over. They aren't particularly aggressive, just crawl all over me if I disturb them and they try to save their eggs. they make me feel guilty for killing them as they try to save their babies!

I do feed Repashy and crickets. I think the ants like the repashy!

will the crested's eat the ants? they are tiny and probably tasty.

they don't seem up set at all.....but lots of people are saying that the ants will eat my geckos! I don't think so, as long as there is food in there, why would they eat the geckos?

What you are describing is the little sugar ants and they are drawn by the damp substrate and also to the food for the Cresteds. The problem is they will not eat the Cresteds, but can cause bites just as crickets left in the habit can. They will also continue to breed and you will be inundated with them if you do not clean out the habitat.

As far as using food grade Diatomaceous Earth it can cause problem s with Reptiles. The dust fro it is so fine it can cause some serious respiratory issues. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of them is to clean the habitat. I would not do that until you can get rid of the ants in the house, because they will be right back if you cannot get rid of them in your home.

The best way to get rid of the ants in the house is Terro ant bait: http://www.terro.com/testimonials.php Once you can get rid of the ants in the house and you have them contained in the Crested's habitat, at that point you can clean and change out the substrate. Do not use the terro in the Habitat. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.