At the risk of repeating a qestion....and I apologize...we just discovered that our panther chameleon has swollen eyes!

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: At the risk of repeating a qestion....and I apologize...we just discovered that our panther chameleon has swollen eyes! We have never seen this symptom before. He is two years old and we have a heat light in his cage. It is currently 80 degrees. We cleaned his cage this afternoon and it was later today that we discovered his badly swollen eyes. My wife held him for a while....we discussed the fact she had tanner on and whether that could be the problem. He is shedding too. He acts odd...he holds his mouth open to scare us when we try to comfort him. HELP! In the past few minutes, he has grown white, and literally just let go of his hold on a stick, and fell face first into the bottom of his cage while still clinging by his tail.
Answered by Jav917 in 21 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Do you have a UVB bulb? What type Coil or tube? How old and strength?

Do you use a mister or a dripper?

Diet?

What type of supplements do you feed?

What are your temps?

Joan

Customer
We have 120 bulb...as recommended by PET SMART. We use a dripper, and feed him crickets dusted in calcium. Current temp is 80 degrees.

Can you tell me what the name of the bulb is? I need to know if it is a Mercury Vapor bulb(would be self balasted) or if it is just an heat bulb for basking. Joan

Customer

It is a heat bulb for basking. He is slipping into a listless state...He has been with us for one year...

Customer
The bulb is a ZooMed type.

The pet shop was lacking in information as you need a UVB bulb and calcium in order to keep the Chameleon healthy. We can try to help with a soak in a 50/50 warm water soak in Plain Pedialyte and warm water for 20 mins. This will help with dehydration.

Chameleons require UVB and calcium to prevent metabolic bone disease. Without the UVB and calcium the bones weaken and the organs shut down. The UVB should be a florescent tube type that stretches the length of the enclosure. The UVB needs to be changed every 6 months as they loose potency. UVB does not supply heat. A Mercury Vapor bulb supplies both heat and UVB that is why I questioned the bulb.

Chameleons are very fragile lizards and if conditions are incorrect then you can easily loose them. I am going to give yo a care sheet for Panther Chameleons: http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/panther-chameleon.aspx

For the eyes some plain saline eye drops used for contact lenses will help.

I suspect that your Chameleon may have Metabolic Bone Disease form lack of UVB light. If we can pull him through, he needs to see a Herp Vet asap. I can locate one with State. Joan

Joan40727.1888270023
Customer
Hello ?

I am here. Joan

Customer
Sorry Joan. I believe we do in fact have a Mercury Vapor bulb AND a UVB. Tim has both in his cage. If so...do you still think he could have bone disease or a vitamin difficiency such as A? He is really slipping tonight and my daughters are weeping :0(

This may indeed be a Vitamin Deficiency "A", Bacterial infection or it may also be a parasite issue. If you supply a state I can try and locate a Herp Vet. Many have emergecy coverage. The Mercury vapor bulbs get very warm and can cause dehydration and the Panthers need a little extra humidity. Unfortunately, Chameleons are very hard to keep. I also get concerned if this is a captive bred or wild caught Chameleon. Parasites can be a big issue if they get stressed. They carry a normal locad and when stressed they bloom. Let your daughters know we are doing all we can for Tim. Joan

Customer
Thanks Joan. Is there anything that we can be doing for him tonight ? He's very lethargic. We live in WA. state. We purchased Tim from a pet store and were told he was not wild caught but bred.

I would keep Tim quiet and on lower branches as with this being the evening, he can cool down. You cna mist him gently, so he does not dehydrate. I will give you a link for some Vets in the area. I would call and see if any can see him on an emergency basis.

These are Herp Vets in WA.: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/washington.html

I hope one is close by and can see Tim since I cannot see him or examine him hands on to tell you what else can be done. Usually we can do first aid to help an animal until they can be seen, but sometimes it can be difficult when I cannot reach out and help. Joan

Customer

Thank-you. My husband just came back from the store w/ Pedialyte. Do we soak Tim in it or feed it to him ? If we soak him, should it be warmed up first ?

You soak him in it so it only comes under his legs as Reptiles absorb fluid through the Vent area. You mix the Pedialyte 50/50 in warm water about 90*F. Hopefully ths will help and relax him and not stress him out. This will help with dehydration. You will want to support him in the soak. If he seems too stressed you can mist him with it. we are trying to balance his electrolytes and prevent dehydration. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.