My snake is a cornsnake and she had some puffiness of her head when she was eating. However she seemed to be okay if she

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My snake is a cornsnake and she had some puffiness of her head when she was eating. However she seemed to be okay if she ate smaller mice and I thought she had recovered. But I didnt want to breed her as she was not strong enough.

Last year she also was bred to another snowcorn and she had some eggs which were ok but in the first clutch only 7 were okay and then I didnt mate her again but she had a second clutch. All were infertile.
This year I didnt mate her because she had a terrible time trying to lay the eggs last year and she has not eaten as well as she should.
However she has made eggs again and has started laying. But the first egg was like a stone and the second egg was quite inflexible and small
and like I said they wont be fertile.
I think she is in pain.
She might also have difficulty laying the eggs and they may get stuck.
Her mother did this same thing, produced eggs without breeding and eventually died when the eggs went in a lump and could not be layed.
What do you think?
Answered by Jav917 in 19 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

With what you have going on with your corn snake I suggest a Herp Vet visit for her to be evaluated. The Vet may make a decision to spay your snake to prevent a problem with egg binding. We do that quite often when a reptile is having issues with eggbinding and laying infertile eggs. If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a city and state and I will be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you. Joan

Customer
So should I wait until she lays the eggs before visiting a herp vet?And I am based in Croydon , England.

I would actually have her in and X rayed to see what is going on as they may take the eggs nd spay her at the same time. If she continues this behavior, it can shorthen her lifespan. I will give you some a link for UK Herp Vets: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/vets.php I think this will be the wisest thing to have her seen asap. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.