I have a baby savannah....very worried. I've had him_her for about a month. I bought him from a private pt store which I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a baby savannah....very worried. I've had him_her for about a month. I bought him from a private pt store which I have much faith in for good care and healthy animals for purchase and feeders. Name is XXXXX XXXXX call him_her G for short. So far G has eaten meal worms a pinky, small crickets, a few helping of the refrigerated type of dog food (less preservatives I was hoping), and a rosie red small feeder fish... h is a healthy eater, feisty but not aggressive (doesn't bite) or attempt to bite when hanled. G moves around hen I have him out and I even have a harness for him so he can move around when I have him out of his enclosure. Half his cage is terra carpet nd the other half is the Zilla ground english walnut shell substrate. His enclosure is timed for daytime to have a basking light on with a uvb lightduring the day about 10-11 hours and is about 85-95 and night is between 75-85 with a heating underneath at all times. He has plenty of hiding areas and a water bowl big enough to lay in. In the past 48 hours I noticed him looking bloated nd his stomach is tight feeling. He has deficated within the last 14 hours. I saw one area in a corner that was almost all white. Then I saw a huge pile or glob that was brown much bigger amount than I have seen from him before. I move it alittle and saw alittle white underneath. To assist in him maybe going some more to the bathroom I put a bigger (in diameter) water container in an have it under the heat light and over where the heating pad is to keep it nice and warm in hope of getting him to go to the bathrrom some more. I have not offered him any addtional food...there are a couple cricketshopping aroundthe cage. Please help. He is still using his back legs ok to move around and when I pick hime up he is still moving around but he has to be extremely uncomfortable! And when he was in the water it looked like where he is bloated was floating up some..... I there anything else I should or could bedoing?? I love this littl one and want him comfortable!! Please help

Heather
Answered by Anna in 7 hours 11 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? Is the bulb a coil or straight tube?

Did the pet store have a vet check their lizards for parasites? If not, did you have that done?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
Straight tube... I'm at work but I blieve its reptisun 18 or 30 watt 5.0 bulb. I'm going to venture to say that snce the people at the store didn't specifically m3ention anything about testing for parasites id rather say no in order to be safe than sorry by assuming they id in case they didn.t.... and to be honest I havnt
Customer
Straight tube... I'm at work but I blieve its reptisun 18 or 30 watt 5.0 bulb. I'm going to venture to say that snce the people at the store didn't specifically m3ention anything about testing for parasites id rather say no in order to be safe than sorry by assuming they id in case they didn.t.... and to be honest I havnt. I also noticed this morning when soaking him a bit there was a teeny brown knot on underside of belly almost like in our belly button area
Thank you for getting back to me. I'll start you out with a first aid measure that may help no matter what is wrong. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your lizard for about 20 to 30 minutes. Since you think he may be constipated, after the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him pass some feces. Be sure to supervise closely. This should be repeated twice a day.

I would also collect a fresh sample of droppings and take it to a reptile vet to be checked for parasites. This link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I do recommend that all new reptiles be examined by a vet shortly after purchase. Many of them have illnesses when they enter the pet store, so it's good to be cautious.

I would get rid of the walnut substrate. Despite the fact that loose substrates are recommended by pet stores, they are dangerous. They often cause impaction and constipation, and are the leading cause of eye infections. Reptile carpet or ceramic tile makes a better substrate. Here's a reputable site where you can read more about care:

http://www.anapsid.org/savannah.html

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your little one doesn't have anything seriously wrong.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.