My son and I found a lizard on our sidewalk this morning (and it was pretty chilly outside--in the 50's). He was very

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My son and I found a lizard on our sidewalk this morning (and it was pretty chilly outside--in the 50's). He was very lethargic, and part of his tail was missing, as well as having some scrapes and puncture wounds in his skin. Knowing that reptiles are cold-blooded, I put him in a shallow bowl and folded a paper towel over him to hopefully restore some of his body heat (I was in a rush to get to work, so I did the quickest thing I could think of). I teach high school, and we have a science teacher his is a semi-expert on various forms of wildlife. He identified it as a very mature, 5-lined Skink, since his body was gray and had the red "beard" marking. I don't know what else to do for him, and I would certainly love to save him, so I would appreciate any suggestions. He doesn't look well, and isn't moving around much. Oh, and he seems to be dragging (?) his two arms. I have to wonder if he may have broken bones. My guess is that he is the victim of a bird, and was possibly dropped from a significant height when/if the bird let go. Thanks in advance! I look forward to your answer.
Answered by Jav917 in 22 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

The first thing we need to do is rehydrate this Skink. To do this we need to give a soak in a 50/50 solution of warm water and plain Pedialyte for about 20 mins. Once this is done you can put him in a tank with parer towel substrate. On the wounds you can use diluted Betadin solution with water followed by some Neosporin. Over the tank you need a clamp light with a regular household bulb, but you will also need a UVB bulb reptisun 10.0 that rund the length of the tank. This will help metabolize calcium in the body. You will need a small dihs of water in the tank. Fo diet they will eat small amounts of vegetation as well as some feeder insects like crickets and meal worms. Thoas can be purchased at most pet shops. I will give you a care sheet. http://www.generalexotics.com/lizards/skinks-for-sale/american-five-lined-skink If the legs are having problems, I will can locate a Herp Vet with a city and state. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.