Our leopard gecko has swollen feet and legs as if he is holding fluid. What causes this and how can we fix it?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our leopard gecko has swollen feet and legs as if he is holding fluid. What causes this and how can we fix it?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 min 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Substrate?

Supplements?

Passing stool? Urates?

When was last shed? Any retained shed on the feet or toes?

Joan

Customer
We have it in A 10 GALLON AQUARIUM WITH HEAT LIGHTS BOTH DAY AND BLACK LIGHTS. WE HAVE THE REPTILE CARPET DOWN WITH MOSS FOR MOISTURE CONTROL. WE FEED IT 3-5 CRICKETS 4 TIMES A WEEK AND 4-6 MEAL WORMS 3 TIMES A WEEK. IT HAS SHEDDED TWICE SINCE THE PROBLEM BEGAN AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY LOOSE SKIN AROUND ITS LEGS OR FEET. IT SEEMS TO BE PASSING STOOLS AS NORMAL. THANK U FOR YOUR HELP

When looking at the legs is there any retained shed around the toes or the legs? This will not be loose skin, but skin that did not come off when the Gecko shed. This is very important for you to look carefully and let me know. Joan

Customer
THERE IS NO RETAINED SKIN.

This is a result of retained shed on the feet causing swelling in the legs:

I wanted to rule this out first. The other reason we would see swelling like you have described would be a kidney issue. If this is the case that it is a Kidney issue, then a Herp Vet visit will be needed to treat the Leo. I would be happy to locate one for you with a city and state. In the mean time we can offers some first aid by giving a daily soak in a solution of 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte for 20 mins. geckos will absorb fluids through the vent area and this will help prevent dehydration. Joan

Customer
This is what its legs and feet look like. what can we do?

The picture you see is retained shed that is constricting the blood flow and causing swelling. If this is the problem, you will need to start with some warm soaks and try and remove the constricting bands of skin. If you cannot get them off, you will need to see the Herp Vet for further help. I suggest setting up a humid hide box. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off. I can assist you in finding a Herp vet with a city and state. Joan

Read less
unlike
4 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.