My Chameleon is not lifting itself up, and the skin color is dull dark and we don't know if it is a girl or a boy, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Chameleon is not lifting itself up, and the skin color is dull dark brown and we don't know if it is a girl or a boy, and it is about approximate 6 to 9 months old, what's wrong with it?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 day 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Is this a veiled chameleon, or some other type?

What types of lighting and heating equipment do you use?

What are the temperatures in the basking area and in the coolest part of the cage?

How is the chameleon's appetite?

Has it been passing normal droppings?

Has it been opening its mouth repeatedly, as if yawning?

Thank you.

Anna

How do you keep the humidity up?
Customer
Yes i waited but I realized I couldn't wait anymore yesterday. Yes it is veiled chameleon. We took our chameleon to the hospital yesterday and dr said it is female. He believed she was like "conspitation" with eggs. A petstore told us it was male. I put her on potting soil and she tried to crawl off soil. We went to Plano Pets where they have expert with chameleons and they saw our chameleon -- they said not good since she was very weak to hatch eggs. They suggest to use sand instead using potting soil. I tried that but it didn't work since sand got into her mouth. I got a calcium medicine from the vet and I kept giving her every 8 hours. She seemed to be interesting in mealworm but she was not able to chew it. We gave her water by dropper. She did opened her mouth repeatly yesterday but not today. Right now she is laying on towel (I put a heating pad under towel -- very lowest temperature) because her body was cold. she wants to stay there even though I tried to place her different surface and she crawled back to towel. Her body starts to be warm again. She sticks her tongue out of her mouth since yesterday morning. Sometimes she sticked her long tongue all the way like she was about to vomit. I have not seen her dropping since two days ago. Her tummy is pretty big. We sprayed all over the cage three times or even more per day. How much humidity does chameleon need? Hope my answer is helping. My question is...is she suffering? Is there any hope?

If the Chameleon is egg bound, then you should get it back into a Herp Vet(which I do not bekieve you had seen). They will need to give medication to try and get the eggs to pass or they will need to go in and take the eggs and spay her. In the mean time, please set up the lay box. Over the lay box clip the Heat lamp to keep it warmed and a UVB to supply to help metabolize the calcium in the body. You will need to help the chameleon with a hole for her to lay the eggs. They use their back legs to dig, so when you put the chameleon in put the tail end in the hole. Make sure that you give her a soak in 50/50 warm water and plain Pedilayte for at least 20-30 mins. This will help with dehydration and rehydrate her. Continue to put the calcium on her tongue as this will help with getting the eggs to pass. I will be happy to locate a Herp Vet who can help your Chameleon, but this needs to be done asap in order to save her life. Joan

Customer
Oh wow. I received different instruction. One expert said no heat lamp. Let her to dig her own but she seems to be very weak. How can I give her a soak? Spray on her body? Are you serious about Pedilayte? How often should I give her 5ml of calcium? The prescription says every 8 hours. Yes, please go ahead and give me a locate a Herp Vet. Since today is Sunday, will they be opening? We live in Plano, Texas.

You take the mixture of 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte and support her in the soak so it covers her Vent area. Reptiles absorb fluids through the Vent. If hse is tired and dehydrated she needs this. Do not let her slip under the mixture we only want the Vent area to absorb the fluids. The calcium should be given every 4 hours, but carefully because she can aspirate into her lungs, so this is a very delicate thing to do. If the lay box is not warm she will not lay her eggs. The mixture should be moistened but not soggy. You can mist her body too. She most likely will need to have the eggs taken and her spayed to save her. This is a link for Herp Vets in TX: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/texas.html You may have to travel to the Herp Vet, but if anyone can save her it would be one of these as they know the anatomy and can treat properly. This is about Dystocia in Chameleons: http://www.chameleonden.co.uk/dystocia.html Joan

Customer
I found one Herp Vet but unfortunately it closed today. I am not sure I understand about her vent area.

Call the Herp Vet and leave a message, so they know you have an emergecy and I am sure they will get back to you. The Vent area is the area where they pass stool, urates and the eggs. Joan

Customer
How do you keep the lay box warm? I feel the sand -- it is little cold. The lay box needs to be a foot deep? Will it be expensive to have a spayed? I had an experience with dogs and cats but reptiles?

That is where the clip on light focuses on the laybox. It keeps the lay material warm. A Rubbermaid tub works well for the lay box.(about $8.00- $10.00 at walmart) Cut a hole in about 1/2 of the lid for a clamp light to fit through. Dump the dirt in and moisten the dirt but not muddy. Put the lid on, point the light at the mound and add your girl into the lay box. Hopefully she will lay if you can start the hole for her. A spay for her may run somewhere between $200-$400 because the chance of complications of being egg bound. They may try Oxytocin first to try and get her to pass the eggs. Joan

Joan40664.8401570602
Customer
Located an Animal Hospital and they said to bring in today. Now I am leaving to take my Cameron. You are great helpful.

Hope all goes well! Please let me know! (((((Huggs)))))). Joan

Customer
She has metabolic bone disease. :( They took x ray and they are not sure if it was egg-bound -- they are afraid she may also have a reproductive tract infection. We need to focus on feeding her with calcium first for couple days. She seems very slowly improving but doesn't do well. Still hasn't climbing yet. I admit I am so overwhelmed and exhausted. It is also $$$ too. I have to be honest that I have a little fear at high maintenance to care of a severe illness animal.

I am glad you had seen a Vet who can actually diagnose your Chameleon and get her the proper help. Once she gets the proper treatment, you should not have to go through this again. Metabolic Bone Disease is a serious issue, but can be reversed with time and care. Please keep me updated on the progress. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.