I have an 18+ yr. old leopard gecko who has not eaten in at least a month. Since December it has become blind. I believe

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have an 18+ yr. old leopard gecko who has not eaten in at least a month. Since December it has become blind. I believe the skin it sheds weekly would not come off of the eyes and has built up. It stopped eating crickets (which had to be hand-fed for the past few years because the gecko had become too slow or had bad vision) and it recently stopped eating mealworms, so a week ago I bought wax worms. I opened its mouth and put a wax worm in and it would always spit it out. For the last 10 days I have been giving the gecko water with an eye dropper. The tail is getting skinnier than I have ever seen it. Could it be it stopped eating because it is too cold? (winter in Wisconsin) or because it no longer has use of its eyes? (I know frogs use their eyes to help them swallow) Is it just in its last days? I was wondering if I could give it milk or something with protein, fat, vitamins to give it SOME nutrition? THANKS!!!
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I suspect the problem is retained shed in the eye or eye cap. To help get the retained shed you will need to give her some nice warm soaks in a container with warm water at least once a day you can mix it 50/50 with plain Pedialyte for dehydration. You can take a q-tip and gently rub across the eye lids with some plain cooking oil and this will help moisturize the areas to allow the shed to come off the lids. Since there are retained eye caps a Herp Vet will need to remove them. This link shows whart can happen if the eye caps are not removed by a Herp Vet: http://www.azeah.com/Care-Sheets.asp?id=117

I suggest using some plain saline eye drops without preservative to also help keep the retained shed soft. I can locate a Herp Vet with a location of state or country.

I do want to recommend using a slurry of chicken baby food, calcium powder and pedialyte dropped on the snout as a supplemental feeding for the Leo. This will help with nutrition and the soaks with dehydration. Joan

I would also replace that so called safe calcium sand with paper, cage carpet, slate or tile. This is what the safe sand does over a period of time. Warning it is graphic:

http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=467

http://www.herpcenter.com/leopard-gecko-sand-impaction-xrays.html

Joan

Customer
So, are you suggesting the lack of interest in solid food is due to not being able to see?

The Leopard gecko depends on the eyes for prey movement. If they cannot see it they will not respond. Many times people will feed dead prey and they have to use a jiggler dish to stimulate movement so the Leo will go after it. For now supplement with the baby food slurry. Use the soaks for hydration. As I said I would change out the sand as there may be an intestinal blockage, so when in the soak gently massage the abdomen to stimulate bowel movement. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.