I have a new bullsnake have had him around 3 weeks, he last shed about 5 weeks ago I was told, he eats every 8 days but

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a new bullsnake have had him around 3 weeks, he last shed about 5 weeks ago I was told, he eats every 8 days but this week refused his Rat and for 2 days has seemed to stay curled up alternating bwtween the cool and warm end of the viv and is very quiet, he is usually very active! His skin looks ok and his eyes still look clear, do snakes quieten down like this when a shed is coming up os should I be looking for something else?
Answered by Anna in 7 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Has your snake passed any droppings since he last ate?

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides?

Does he have a shallow water bowl that he can crawl into?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
yes he pooed 2 days after the last feed, warm end was around 88-90 and cool around 70-75 he has water in a large bowl and up until a few days ago was regulally swimming around in it
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer, and will post it as soon as it is typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Please don't reply to this post as that can lock me out so I won't be able to post your answer.

I'll be back shortly.

Anna
Thank you for waiting. Your conditions are all good, so that isn't likely the cause of the problem. You might try to get the very warmest spot in the cage up to about 95*F. Sometimes being just a bit warmer can increase appetite and activity level.

It is normal for a snake to stop eating and become less active before a shed. However, the skin should soon turn translucent and the eyes cloudy. Other signs of an approaching shed include rubbing on objects in the viv and spending more time in the water bowl. It is possible that the snake is getting ready to shed. However, it is also normal for bullsnakes to go through a less active phase in the winter, even when they're in a warm home. A snake can go for several months without eating, so you don't have to worry yet. Keep a close eye on him. If you notice him breathing with his mouth open, making a noise when he breathes, slobber coming from his mouth, discharge from the eyes or nose, swelling anywhere on the body, blistered-looking skin, or total inactivity, it would be best to consult a reptile vet. Otherwise, skip a couple of feedings before you try again. If he still won't eat, again, it might be best to see a vet. If you go to this site and scroll down to UK, you'll find a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope it will turn out that your snake is just going through a short inactive period.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.