I have had my leopard gecko for about eleven years. I just noticed that he is not eating any crickets and has lost a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have had my leopard gecko for about eleven years. I just noticed that he is not eating any crickets and has lost a substancial amount of weight specifically in his tail. He usually doesn't mind being touched but now runs from anyones touch. He has lost so much weight that his skin hangs in folds around his entire body. He aslo seems to be having problems with one of his eyes. It appears completly black and seems to be bothering him because he is constantly licking it, scratching it, or even dragging it against the glass of his cage. Any suggestions would really help! Thanks!!!
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer

In the past I have feed him pinkies but he will only eat live ones and I haven't been able to find any so I have anly been feeding him crickets. He lives in a rather large fish tank with crushed walnuts at the bottom. He has two heated rocks and always has fresh water. I'm not sure when his last stool was but they have all been pretty normal. I don't feed him any supplements or substrates. For the past few months he has been shedding alot more than usual about every few weeks. The last time he shed was about two weeks ago. When I can tell he is shedding I spray him with water and he has always loved it but when I tried today, I could tell he was really bothered by it.

We have some serious issues to address. The Walnut shell substrate can cause impactions and intestinal perforation, as well as corneal abraisons. That should be removed, you can read about it here: the picture is very graphic and is a dragon, but does the same to all reptiles:

Walnut shell Graphic: http://mrskingsbioweb.com/beardeddragngrossanatomy.htm I suggest plain paper towels, slate, tile or non stick shelf liner. for substrate.

The Next issue is Pinkies should not be fed as they are too high in fat and protein content and can affect the kidney and liver functions. you will be better served to feed roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms or crickets.This may be part of the situation we are seeing. Next issue is the heat rocks cause thermal buns, the only good heat rock is one where the cord has been removed. http://www.anapsid.org/hotrock.html

The Leo should have a dish of calcium powder in the tank at all times and all prey should be dusted with calcium.

We can try some first aid, but I do suggest a Herp Vet visit to have a fecal check done with an acid fast stain and he may need some supplemental calcium injections due to lack of calcium.

Please support the Leo in a soak of 50/50 solution of warm water and palin Pedialyte. This will help with dehydration. Next use some sterile saline eye drops without preservatives in the eye. This should help to soothe it and if there is any retained eye caps it may loosen it. Next to supplement him, please mix some meat flavored baby food with plain calcium powder (no phosphorus) and drop on the snout and allow him to lick it off. This can be added to the prey you are feeding. If you need a herp vet please supply a city and state and I will try to lcoate some for you. Joan

Joan40572.2611618056
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.