How do i know if pet snake is dead or just in hibernation. My sister's pet snake wasn't moving this morning when she

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: how do i know if pet snake is dead or just in hibernation. My sister's pet snake wasn't moving this morning when she woke up, she said that the light they had for it has been out for a while and thought that the snake died and we just found out when it gets too cold they may just go into hibernation.
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

May I ask your age?

What type of snake to you have?

Is the snake stiff?

Is the snake flaccid?

How cold was the habitat?

Joan

Joan40565.0347945949
Customer

Hello

Type of snake is a ball python

he curled up in a ball, hasn't moved since monday night. feels a little squishy

we are in san jose, ca inside the house is and the tank says the coldest it was since then was 58 degrees.

What is flaccid?

Flaccid means floppy. If you pick the snake up he flops and has no muscle tone. You can try a warm soak supporting his head in a solution of 50/50 warm water and plain pedialyte. The soak should help warm him up and perk him up if he is alive. You will also need to raise the temps in the habitat. The temps should be at 85* to help with the warming. If you try to get him out of the ball position and you feel him constricting you will also know that he is still alive. Please try and get him warmed for a few days before considering he is gone. Joan

Customer

he was not flaccid, he stayed in the ball when they tried to pick him up.

how long do we keep him in the soak solution?

Support him in the soak for 20-30 mins. making sure his head does not go under. Once you are done, then make sure you have the temps up in the habitat and get him in. Hopefully he is just hibernating and should start coming around as he starts to warm up. Joan

Customer
Thank you for your helpLaughing
Customer
what if he stinks, smells like he's recently pooped, but he has a full belly, hasn't pooped yet, last time was like 2 weeks ago

When in hiberantion, food can rot in the stomach. The after the soak if he is alive he should pass stool. You have to try the soak and see if there is any response at all. I have seen Reptiles thrown away for dead, only to find them the next morning, roaming around the office. Joan

Read less
unlike
6 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.