I just have a question about lighting for turtles, I have 2 red eared sliders and a painted turtle all together in the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I just have a question about lighting for turtles, I have 2 red eared sliders and a painted turtle all together in the same tank, (40 gallon) I have had to resort to putting a glass lid on top of the tank (it opens up in half from front to back) and keep both side closed when I am not at their side as I have cats that try to get in their tank, I just wanted to know what lighting would be best for them, would it go through the glass and be safe, what about heating lamps? they do have a turtle dock in their tank and I have picked out a plastic crate to put in there tank for basking (I am embarressed to admit I have had them for 2 years as the women that had them before would not feed them for weeks at a time and there water had NO filter and was like mud!) I have had many finacial hang ups over the past few years and have upgraded the size of there tank and bought them a 120 gallon filter tank, I am knock on wood a bit more financially ok and would like to do right by them and get them everything they need to live long healthy happy lives! I also have a malayan box turtle in a separtae 40 gallon tank with a plastic crate for a basking dock, a regular filter, some gravel substrate, a glass lid with a flurescent light bulb I bought from petco, please help me to keep them happy a healthy!
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 11 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

UVB will not penetrate glass. I suggest a screen mesh lid and then you can place a Dome heat lamp and a tube type UVB reptisun 10.0 over the tank. Most pet shops carry the mesh lids and should keep the cats out from bothering the turtles. Joan

Customer
I have read articles about uva, is that neccessary? What kind of substrate is best for them and what would be the best temp? do they need day and night lights? I see all these differnt things I am so confused! lol

Turtles need a UVB light to supply artificial sunlight. The Basking bulb is UVB and supplies heat for basking. I like large river rocks for a substrate, so they cannot be ingested. They do not need a night light. Only 12 hours of light throughout the day. They do need a calcium supplement and the diet should be 50% leafy greens, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats. This is a care sheet that should help you. Joan

This care sheet goes over temps and set up: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

Customer
thank you for this information and the link it was very helpful! :)
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.