Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My red slider turtle's neck is red and raw and exposed

looking- looks like the covering...
my red slider turtle's neck is red and raw and exposed looking- looks like the covering is gone- what's wrong with it?
11/17/2010
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

How much of the neck is affected - all the way around, only the top, etc.?

Is this the only turtle in the tank?

What kind of decorations and furnishings are in the tank?

How big is the tank?

What temperatures do you have in the basking area and in the water?

How old is your turtle?

Thank you.

Anna
looks like just the top of the neck is affected
there is another turtle in the tank
stone on the bottom and a small plastic plant and a styrofoam bridge- a heater and a sunlamp
the tank is about 30 gallons
basking area- the heat comes from the lamp and the water is about 78 degrees
turtle is about a year and 3/4
he is the smaller of the two turtles
seems to bask on the styrofoam a lot and when underwater stays near heater
Thank you for getting back to me. While there's no way to be certain, I suspect that the larger turtle injured the smaller one. Turtles are very territorial, and attacks like this often occur as they get older. Two sliders this age should be in at least a 60 gallon tank. a larger tank can cut down on aggression, but may not eliminate it.

The biggest risk from this wound is infection. I'll give you a first aid measure in a moment, but the very best thing to do would be to make an appointment with a reptile vet because the turtle may need to be placed on a course of prescription antibiotics. This link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Because turtles spend so much time in the water, it's hard to keep topical medication on a wound. fro that reason, the best way to treat this involves what is called 'dry-docking.' You'll need to prepare a 'hospital' for the affected turtle. A large plastic tote works well. It should be equipped with a basking area at 90*F and a UVB light. The turtle will be kept warm and dry, except for a 30 minute bath twice a day. Feed during the bath. The baths twice a day are very important to prevent dehydration. After the baths, clean the wound with Betadine (available in pharmacies and discount stores in the first aid department). Follow that with a light application of plain Neosporin. If it doesn't look like the area is improving within a couple of days, you'll need to see a vet.

When the turtle goes back in the tank, monitor the situation closely.If you see any aggression, you may need to separate the turtles permanently

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your turtle will quickly recover.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. thank you.)
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist