My bearded dragon is eating very little for the pass two weeks so its not getting its calcium its drinking very little

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my bearded dragon is eating very little for the pass two weeks so its not getting its calcium its drinking very little water and it hasnt poop. whats wrong
Answered by Jav917 in 6 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Has the weather gotten cooler where you live?

Is the Dragon being very lazy and slowing down?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet? Prey/veggies?

Substrate?

Supplements?

UVB light? Type coil or tube? How old?

Joan

Customer

yes the wheather is cooler. Cincinnati Ohio

He acts very lazy I have him in a 75 gal aquarium with sand on bottom fake plants two logs steps and a platform. I feed it mix vegetbles daily apples, once a week sweet potatos dandelions if i can find some. I give it the calcium supplement every other day. I keep a uvb light on it from 7 am to 10 pm.. it looks light a minature flood light. I also have a heat lamp with a red bulb. that I sometime use if i think its to cold in the aquarium. The bulb is about 2 months old. the dragon sometimes keeps it mouth open and tries to eat the fake plants

Can you tell me the name of the bulb? Usually a UVB is a tube type or a coil type of florescent bulb. Joan

Customer
I DON'T KNOW I AM AT WORK I CAN REPLY ON SUNDAY WHEN I COME BACK TO WORK AT 3 PM. ITS THE KIND YOU BUY AT THE PET STORE FOR ABOUT TWELVE DOLLARS. .THE LIGHT I HAVE IS A SMALL LAMP BULB LOOKS LIKE A SMALL MOTION SENSOR BULB

The bulb you are using is not a UVB bulb, but just a spot light bulb. The UVB as I said is a tube type or a coil. The Tube type stretches the length of the tank and should be a reptisun 10.0. It does need to be changed every 6 months, as it looses potency. Without the UVB and calcium the Dragon has a good chance of getting Metabolic Bone Disease. It is important that you get a UVB on the tank. As far as what I suspect is happening is your Dragon is getting ready to go through the brumation. This happens when the weather turns cooler. During this time the Dragons can stay down for at least 12-15 weeks. I usually keep fresh greens in if they wake up and want a munch. I weigh them once a week to be sure there is no weight lose. If there is a weight lose and it is significat, I get them into the Herp Vet for an exam. I usually try and weigh them, have a fecal done and be sure all is ok, before brumation. Once a week I actually give a soak in a 50/50 solution of Plain Pedialyte and warm water. This prevents dehydration during the long sleep. The UVB should be on for 8 hours a day. The amount of time in brumation can vary in time they are down. Sometimes we will see them awaken early on, only to go back under a few days later. By giving the soaks during the brumation it helps to maintain, a proper electrolyte balance. Joan

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html

Joan40489.2128043982
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.