We have a red slider about 1 1/2 pds, about a year old. She has pneumonia and the turtle vet gave her shot of Baytril

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a red slider about 1 1/2 pds, about a year old. She has pneumonia and the turtle vet gave her shot of Baytril and liquid for us to give her with syringe. How does one give liquid meds to a red slider? Letty
Answered by Dr. Jaime in 9 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Jaime
17+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Jaime :

Hello and welcome to JA Chat! I'm Dr. Jaime and I'd like to help.

Dr. Jaime :

First, you are probably giving a small amount of oral liquid- but it's important to note that turtles readily regurgitate this medication.

Dr. Jaime :

Personally, I prefer to only give injectable medications to turtles for this reason; you may always call your vet and ask to switch to injectable medications if the oral medicating is not working.

Dr. Jaime :

First, I'd recommend having a helper.

Dr. Jaime :

Next, push her back legs gently in. This will start to extend her neck.

Dr. Jaime :

Gently grab her head at the jaws and gently extend her neck. Try at first to make her open her mouth by tapping on her nose. After her neck is fully extended insert the syringe as far as you can into her mouth past her glottis (opening on her tongue). If you are using a small 1 cc syringe, it should be easy to get it down her throat. Discharge the contents of the syringe, make sure her body is pointed upward (nose to the sky) and watch for any liquid to come back up out of her throat/nose. If you have difficulty, your veterinarian can administer the treatment for you, or you can request her medication be changed to injectables. Good luck!

JACUSTOMER-jp3pix80- :

Thank you for the info, we will try tomorrow and see if we can give the liquid. If not we will call the vet.

Dr. Jaime :

Great, I hope it works well for you. If you have further questions, please click reply. Otherwise please click accept.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jaime
logo
logo
logo
17+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Jaime
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.