One of my mississippi maps has stopped eating and is losing weight. What can I do? The three other turtles are eating

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: one of my mississippi maps has stopped eating and is losing weight. What can I do? The three other turtles are eating well.
Answered by Jav917 in 6 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Any bubbles from the nose or mouth?

Type of diet?

Passing stool?

UVB how old/ tube or coil?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
I am trying to unsubcribe to the unlimited subsctription and it is telling me to uncheck on my account the JA unlimited subscription box. There is no JA box on my account page. Please help me before I answer your queries. Thank you

I have sent your request to the moderators to handle. They have told me you had unsubscribed yourself. Joan

Joan40440.120109294
Customer
Thank you. I moved them today to a much larger tank with fresh repti-glo and repti sun glo lights. I think it is the uv problem because bitsy has not been basking lately and she now has more options of places to bask. They eat repto-min floating sticks and several times a week they get shrimp krill treats. I have not noticed her blowing bubbles either. She has been more active in the new tank .

You may have solved your own problem. The reason we see turtles not eating is UVB light is too old, the temps are incorrect, parasites, or the turtle has a respiratory infection. If she does not gain weight, i do suggest a fecal be run to rule out a parasite issue. If she is again eating and basking, you may be able to wait and see if she starts to pick up a bit. If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a city and state and i will try and locate a Herp Vet for you. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.