I have a 6 month old frilled lizard that is sick. On Monday September 6th, 2010 I noticed that Victor was not opening

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 6 month old frilled lizard that is sick. On Monday September 6th, 2010 I noticed that Victor was not opening this right eye. I misted his eyes for a couple of minutes and he eventually opened it. The other eye was fine. On Tuesday I had the same problem. I also noticed that he other eye was not opening either. He also stopped moving and eating. On Wed. I moved him into a improved home that was better sealed and had a better misting machine. On Thursday there was no change in him better or worst. By Friday I took him to the vet.

She said he had an eye infection and could have a respiratory infection. The vet gave me Triple Antibiotic Ointment for his eyes and Bayrill for his respiratory infection. The vet also said we needed to start force feeding him. On Saturday he seemed to be getting better. He was moving around and had both eyes open. On Sunday, he went back to no movement and no opening his eyes.

I called the vet today and she said she would look at him again but there is not a whole lot she would do. His average temp is 85 F and his Hum. is 60%. He has a basking light, a heat light (100 watt) and (2) single tube 5.0 reptibulb lights.
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

How old is the UVB light?

How long did you give the Baytril?

Have you given any probiotics?

What type of fppd are you trying to feed?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer

I installed the UVB bulb 5 days to a week before the problem started.

He has been on Baytril since Friday

I dont know what probiotics are but I did try to give him turtle eye drops.

He normally eats superworms and crickets. Since superworms are easier to force feed we have been feeding him that.

We have a bottle of Calcionate Syrup and I give him 1 drop a day

The Antibiotics are dehydrating. You can give him a saok is 50/50 warm water and Plain pedialyte. This will be absorbed through the vent to help prevent dehydration. Foe food you can make a mixture of a meat baby food and calcium and feed that by dropping on the snout and allowing him to lick it off. a Probiotic will help with the gut flora. You can pick up Benbac in the bird section of the Pet shop. Add the Benbac to the meat mixture when you feed. For the eyes you can use some plain saline eye drops without presevatives. If the Vet you had seen is not a help Vet please let me know as I will locate a Herp Vet for you with a cty and state. Joan

Customer

So do you have any idea what caused the problem so I can prevent it from happening again? I do not know any vets in the Smithville, MO 64089 area

Respiratory infections are not uncommon in reptiles. I can locate a herp vet for you. The infections can be viral or bacterial in nature. Joan

These are herp vets in Mo; http://www.anapsid.org/vets/missouri.html

Joan40435.8960452546
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.