Water cloudy and smelly after feeding food turtles didnt like, complete water changes done twice, now using "turtle

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: water cloudy and smelly after feeding food turtles didnt like, complete water changes done twice, now using "turtle clean" and 50% changes daily, scared of stress this is causing turtles but water keeps going back to stinky and cloudy, 35g, fluval canister w/biomax, 78 degrees, 2 4" res, one 3" map, 2 8" plecos, no water problems until bad food
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me size of tank?

Diet? Prey/Greens/Pellets?

UVB? How old? Tube or Coil?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
they are in 35 gallon 3/4 filled with 12x12 uv basking area, bad food was wardley pellets (wont do that again) they normally eat tetrafauna repto mini select-a-food which includes mini sticks, baby shrimp, mini krill, also give live meal worms and spinach 2-3 x week, unsure of ages approx 2, i have had the 4" res and 3" map for almost a year, new 3" res for only two months, sorry dont know what tube or coil refers to, used to use turtle shaped supplement you put in tank but resently read that was a bad idea, have not had this problem until the bad food , i think i may have over cleaned everything and now have no beneficial bacteria, dont know how to fix that

Part of the problem you are seeing as the turtles should have a much bigger tank. The Red Eared Slider should have about a 40 gallon alone and the Map turtle at 3 inches could use another 20 gallons. The diet should be 50% greens, 25% veggies(the spinach binds calcium and is not a good veggie) and 25% live prey. I suggest using Mazuri turtle pellets, as the are very good and usually do not leave a lot of residue. The greens should be escarole, or curly endives and the meal worms are find. I usually feed in a separate tank because of the pollution from food compounded with feces. The coil or tube refers to the UVB light that is needed to keep the turtles healthy. You should be using a 10.0 tube type UVB bulb. This with a calcium supplement keeps the turtle healthy, the shell hard, and the bones and organs healthy. I suggest a cuttle bone for them to chew on for the calcium supplement. To add good bacteria to the tank there is a product calledf Fritz Zyme that is used for fish tanks, but be sure to get the type for fresh water. I believe if you get a larger tank, and use a feeding tank, it will fave you a lot of problems with the cleaning. You also should have the UVB light and a basking light for the health of the turtles. Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.