My teenage son raises leopard geckos and has been pretty successful with them. Recently several of them have been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi,
My teenage son raises leopard geckos and has been pretty successful with them. Recently several of them have been experiencing eye problems, not related to shedding that we can tell. It started with a couple of them and seems to be spreading. He has two colonies of five females and every one else has their own tub. In the past he would put calcium powder in with the meal worm cup when he fed them. About a month ago he stopped doing that. He raises his own meal worms and feeds them potatoes and carrots. Our local reptile expert who breeds and raises all types of reptiles including leos, thinks it may be a nutritional deficiency. I can't be sure it isn't an infection. They seem to have very slight swelling (some have no swelling) around the eye and a slight cloudy film over one eye, not both. Any thoughts on this. I seem to find a lot of stuck shed info on the internet, but I am almost positive that isn't it.
Please help! Lorna Inman
Answered by Jav917 in 3 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello Lorna,

Is there any discharge from the eyes?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

What temperature is maintained in their enclosures?

Is everything else normal with the geckos - appetite, droppings, activity level, etc.?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer
Hi Anna,

No, there is no discharge from the eyes, just the very slight swelling and liquidy looky film. The tubs have paper towel for substrate, and the thermostat is set for 80 degrees. Lately, the house has been pretty warm and I don't have ac right now due to construction on the house. Out side temps in the 90s and past few days 100 give or take a couple degrees, so the reptile room has been about 85. Appetite, droppings, activity level are all good.

Anna had to run out on a call. If you would like to wait for her she will be back in a couple of hours. If you need the answer now, I will be happy to assist you. Joan

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm glad to hear you're using paper towels for substrate. Loose substrates, such as sand, are a common cause of eye infections. It would be impossible to tell you exactly what is wrong based only on an online description. I suspect that either of your lines of thought could be right. When it comes to nutritional problems, there are two causes of eye symptoms. Both are related to vitamin A. Either too much or too little can cause swollen, cloudy eyes. There's a lot of vitamin A in carrots, so if the crickets are fed shortly before the geckos eat them, they could get too much.

Infection is equally likely. You're already taking the only possible first aid measure by using the saline drops. Continue to do that several times a day. You could experiment with the carrots and the crickets. Discontinue feeding them, and discontinue the vitamin supplements, and watch what happens to the leo's eyes. If too much vitamin A is the problem, they should begin to clear up. The other option, and the one I recommend, is to see a vet. If this is infection, the longer you let it go, the more likely complications or permanent damage to the eyes will develop. To minimize the expense, take in only one gecko, but let the vet know how many have the problem. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope all the geckos will reach full recoveries.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.