We have an eastern collared lizard and his left front foot the pad is swollen and the pinky claw is black and the claw

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: we have an eastern collared lizard and his left front foot the pad is swollen and the pinky claw is black and the claw next to it where it joins his hand is black the rest is normal color he is still eating and very active seems like his normal self
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up.

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Can you post a picture on the foot? You can do this with the Tree icon in the too bar. Joan

Customer
he eats crickets we but at petsmart he prefers the small ones i'm sorry i think you mean what does he live in is if so its a 10 gallon aquarium that was purchased newwhen we got him he has a hammock a plant he can climb on also a cactus and a log to climb in and on

What type of bedding do you use?

Do you use any calcium of vitamins? Can you post the picture of the foot? Joan

Customer
its a mat that came with the glass cage no we don't give him any supplements do you have a web cam

I do not have a web cam and we cannot have personal contact. I suspect this may be an infection due to retained shed on the foot. It will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet. In the mean time you can clean it with some Betadine and then Neosporin. You need to start dusting crickets with calcium powder daily and use a UVB light should run 12-14 hours a day. The UVB is a tube type of reptile light that puts out artificial sunlight to help metabolize the calcium in the body. If you need a Herp Vet I would be happy to locate one with a state or country. Joan

http://webspinners.com/coloherp/careshts/lizards/collaredliz.php

Customer
we have the light one for daytime and another for nigthtime what is the calcium powder for

The light I am speaking about does not give heat. It supplies UVB reays to help metabolize calcium into the body which prevents metabolic bone diease. MBD can affect the bones, joints and organs leaving your collard lizard disabled or worse.

http://www.anapsid.org/mbd2.html

This is a UVB bulb:

This is Zoo-Med's latest improvement on their outstanding line of UV bulbs. These bulbs work very well for providing necessary UVB rays to most diurnal reptiles including bearded dragons, uromastyx, and tortoises. Available in a wide range of sizes, all of which fit into any of our standard fluorescent fixtures. Ideal for applications when ultra-violet illumination is desired without heat as a by-product. Due to it's 10% UVB rating, this bulb is especially suited for desert species, animals recovering from metabolic bone disease, egg-producing females and in taller enclosures (appreciable UV rays over 20 inches from bulb surface). Designed to ensure that UV rays travel through standard screen terrarium lids.

More

Zoo Med 18" Repti Sun 10.0 Fluorescent Bulb
size: 18" (T-8)

Zoo Med Repti Sun UV Bulbs are the number 1 recommended UV bulb! The "10.0" bulb reaches up to 20 inches down, providing more UV to larger terrariums or screen cages

Customer
thank you very much
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.