Back to the frill again, i heard conflicting things I heard they are very similar to Beards, and even kept together. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: back to the frill again, i heard conflicting things I heard they are very similar to Beards, and even kept together. I also heard they are like aboreals (spelled incorectly) "tree dwelling". i have a naturalistic 18*18*24 terrerium and have set it up w orchid bark, plastic trees, water, and suction cuped store bought wood, or branches. Lights inlude 5.0 reptisun, che, and day spotlight. no matter where HE is he seems lathargic and tentative. does it sound like i have the wrong set up.??
Answered by Anna in 3 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello again,

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

There are several different species referred to as frilled dragons or frilled lizards. Do you know the scientific name? If not, I can post some photos for you to compare.

How long have you had your frilled dragon? Did he come from a pet store?

What are the actual temperatures on the warm and cool sides of the cage?

Is he eating at all? If so, what do you feed him?

Thank you.

AnnaMsAM40396.0520387731
Customer
its a terrerium so its taller than wider, the top is warm while the bottom is the cooler retreating part. He ate crickets yesterday but did not eat today will try later this evening. dontgraphic
Customer
graphic
Thank you for the photo. It looks like you have Chlamydosaurus kingii.

It's very important that I know the actual temperatures in the warmest and coolest parts of the cage. Do you have a thermometer, or can you get one? Proper temperatures are so crucial that I really need that information to help you.

Anna
While I'm waiting for your reply on the temperatures, I'm going to give you a first aid measure to take. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents, so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely. This step will help no matter what is wrong.

I'll have more for you later - there's no need to click on accept until you have your complete answer.

Anna. MsAM40396.0839369213
Customer
night are 72 under heat lamp and on the ground level its 68-70. I am misting 2 daily as i am treating them like abreolas rather than "desert" for humidity reasons. I use digital therm, at the bottom of the tank, since it's cooler down there.
That helps. One big reason that your dragon may be lethargic is that he is cold. The warmest part of the cage should be kept at 95-100* F, with the coolest part at 75* to 82*F. Without these temperatures, a frilled dragon is going to be slow, and will eventually get sick. You're right that the species is arboreal. They should not be kept with bearded dragons. The two species have different requirements for temperatures, humidity, types of cage, and diet. Putting two different species in a cage together can also lead to greater chances of disease.

Your UVB light is not powerful enough. With a 5.0, it is likely that Metabolic bone Disease will develop. I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 with a straight tube bulb. The bulbs have to be changed every 6 months, even though they still look fine. They don't put out enough UVB rays after that to be effective.

The terrarium you have now is fine for awhile. At adulthood, he'll need a much bigger cage. I recommend this site for information on the species in the wild and for captive care:

Frilled dragon

It would also be a good idea to schedule an appointment with a reptile vet. I recommend that all new reptiles be examined by a vet shortly after purchase. While it's difficult to tell just from a photo, yours looks like he is too thin. He may have parasites or another condition which needs to be treated. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Try the Pedialyte soaks and warmer temperatures this weekend. If your dragon doesn't show improved activity level and appetite by Monday, you'll need to see a vet. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna
Customer

my beards have a 10.0 cn I swap the bulbs giving the Beards 5.0. If you dont mind I will send you some pics later to determine it's effectivness.

IS THERE any poisonous furniture for these lizards???

The beardies also need a 10.0 output light. The 5.0 lights are useful mostly for animals that don't need a lot of UVB, such as some of the frogs.

A picture won't show if a dragon has MBD unless it's advanced. Byt he time bone deformities and swelling can be seen, treatment is much more complicated.

What things do you mean by furniture that could be poisonous?

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.