My Eyelash Crested Gecko is moving very slowly and she constantly wants to flip over. I find her either completely

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Eyelash Crested Gecko is moving very slowly and she constantly wants to flip over. I find her either completely upside down or half over every time I look in her tank. Could she be ill or possibly dying?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 min 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the diet?

Supplements?

How old is the Crested?

Temps?

Joan

Joan-Mod40383.8225792014
Customer
She (although actually not sure male or female) has been eating baby food since we got her (she is one of ours from school and she is probably around five years old) and in the past month I have been mixing her food with eyelash Crested Gecko vitamins and I have been keeping her tank around 75 degrees and moist. She seems to always want to be laying in her water dish at night as well.

If this was a male you would definitely know as males are very well endowed. There is definitely something going on with your Crested Gecko. It is assumed that they will live approximately 10 years as they are fairly new to the pet market. One of the issues I see may be a depletion of calcium in your Crested. If she opens her mouth you can tell if her calcium levels are up as they have calcium storage in their mouth. If you have been feeding a fruit baby food, you need to put a plain calcium supplement in the food. They also need a few gut loaded insects dusted with calcium in the diet. As this point I suspect it may be a calcium deficiency. This is only an assumption, since I cannot see your Crested and do a hands on Exam. The Crested should see a Herp Vet asap. I would be happy to locate one for you with a state and zip code or a country. Joan

Customer
Thank you so much I will definitely get her to a vet asap (bad timing right now I guess...we just had a death in the family, so I will try by Wed). We live in Budd Lake, NJ

I am sorry for your loss! I will give you a link for Herp Vets in NJ: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/newjersey.html

In the mean time use a mango or papaya baby food and mix with calcium powder and see if she pickes up. You can also use a 50/50 water pedialyte mist on her as she will lick the mixture. Joan

Customer
Thank you so very much. I will certainly take your advise. Smile

Hope all goes well! Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.