Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

healthy- he eats, is the same color as the other turtles, and moves…

Customer Question
HELP! My painted turtle has...
HELP! My painted turtle has wanderd out of the water for longer than a week and now when he goes back in and tries to swim, he just floats. He tries to swim down and wants to, but its like he has an air bubble inside his shell. He seems healthy- he eats, is the same color as the other turtles, and moves around out side the water. The air and water temperature is 76 degrees. He has wanderd outside the water before but this time he just cant swim down. He helplessly floats at the top and cant swim down to eat the food he dropped. what should i do? He lives in a habitat which has a 40 gallon tank, with a ramp for the turltes to walk up to a "natural land" habitat. He lives with 2 other painted turtles and a tortise and a box turtle. They have lived "happily" together for the past 8yrs. He has a diet that of worms and fish, as sometimes pellets-and calcium supplements. Lately when he eats a worn, he get a few bits, then the worn falls to the bottom of the tank, and he cannot swim down to get it. Most of his day is spent up in the land area, sitting on branches by himself.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/28/2010
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

When the turtle is floating, does one side seem to sink a little more than the other?

Have you noticed him opening his mouth repeatedly, as if he is yawning? Have you seen any bubbles coming from his nose?

Do you have a UVB light? If so, what brand and size? Is the bulb a coil or a straight tube? How old is it?

What is the temperature in the basking area?

How big is the land area?

I'm sorry there are so many questions, but all this information will help me to give you a better answer. Thank you.

Anna